Sometimes freezes when I open Gnome 3 Menu

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Peppe Weapon
Level 1
Level 1

Sometimes freezes when I open Gnome 3 Menu

Post by Peppe Weapon »

Linux Mint 12 is very good, but I'm having a very "strange" issue about Gnome 3. When I click on the "infinity" symbol or going with mouse cursor to up-left of the screen, it's alright: it opens Gnome 3 Menu. Well, unfortunately sometimes, when I go to Gnome Menu, this DE freezes. I can move cursor, but I can't do anything, I have to clic CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart X-Server. I noticed that this error occured when I left Mint inactive for minutes, I try to open Gnome 3 menu, then freezes.

karolbe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sometimes freezes when I open Gnome 3 Menu

Post by karolbe »

I have the same problem. My Gnome session hangs in the exactly same way every 15-30 minutes, since when it hangs like this there is sometimes no way to save your data I would say that this is even a critical issue.

revlater
Level 1
Level 1

Post by revlater »

Yes, It also freezes on me as well..

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

revlater
Level 1
Level 1

Post by revlater »

That's the bug I've been dealing with..

Peppe Weapon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peppe Weapon »

Exactly, also if "re-spawnes" are rarest than "freezes" click upon gnome-shell menu

revlater
Level 1
Level 1

Post by revlater »

This reloading of MGSE and the Shell has to do with the ATI proprietary driver, as long as I don't install the proprietary ATI driver this does not happen..

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

If I remember correctly Ubuntu failed on me last summer and I think the bug that time was in gnome. In the launchpad link above someone with non-proprietary drivers are seeing the same behaviour so it's not isolated to nvidia. Have they reintroduced a bug from gnome 2?

kingtz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingtz »

I just installed Mint12 GNOME x64 last night. This freezing issue happened to me about once an hour. I have updated everything from the update manager and I'm not even using ATI proprietory drivers, yet this keep happening. Someone mentioned that turning OFF the alt+tab shell extension fixes this issue, so I just tried it. I'll report back if it freezes again in a day or two.

Does anyone else have any more news or information regarding this?

wingnux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wingnux »

It happens to me too (and to a fairly large user base). I have a nvidia card so it's not an ATI issue.

kingtz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingtz »

Well, that was fast. It just froze on me. So yeah, turning off the ALT+TAB shell extension is not the solution.

However, ALT+F2, then r works. You just won't see anything, but when you press enter it reloads the DE.

EDIT:
Not sure what's going on now, but it's frozen on me a couple of times and the mouse no longer worked. I couldn't even move the cursor around. ALT+F2 didn't work; CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE didn't work and REISUB didn't work. I had to manually power off. I think I'll be trying out MATE now, because this bug makes MGSE unusable for me.

kingtz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingtz »

Does anyone else remember using any type of music player in the background when these freezes occurred?

I stumbled across someone else mentioning that Banshee might be buggy with GNOME3 and I then remembered that I always have my own player (Clementine) running in the background when these freezes occurred. In the meantime, I'll try using my computer without any music (sadface) and try to narrow this down.

jompa89
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jompa89 »

The freezes seems to be connected to Banshee in my case. After having Banshee open for a while I cant click anything and not open the Gnome 3 menu. It doesn't freeze when I don't have Banshee open.
Norwegian jornalist student who have used linux since 2008.

nah444
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nah444 »

Peppe Weapon wrote:
Exactly, also if "re-spawnes" are rarest than "freezes" click upon gnome-shell menu
I get this problem a lot.. I thought it was down to banchee but it happens without it open. At random intervals the Gnome shell crashes for no real apparent reason. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Darvon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darvon »

Yeah, this happens to me, too. I usually go to tty1 with CTRL+ALT+F1, log in, and write killall gnome-shell into the terminal. When I switch back to tty7 with CTRL+ALT+F7, the gnome-shell restarts, and everything works fine. Only sometimes the gnome-shell doesn't start again, then I have to power off. I have Intel HD3000 graphics, so this is not an ATI/AMD/whatever issue. Perhaps more people should go to Launchpad and click on "this bug also affects me", perhaps it gets more attention.

nah444
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nah444 »

For me this only ever happens with the default Mint gnome 3 desktop. I've installed cinnamon and it hasn't crashed at all.

jompa89
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jompa89 »

It can be problems with the MGSE media player extension. I found a solution that worked in a post in this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p516810

You have to install two patches for the media player extension.
Norwegian jornalist student who have used linux since 2008.

Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

I just installed Mint 12 Gnome today and it's working fine except for the random freezing fo the DE. Did anyone ever find a solution?
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.

owenhell

Post by owenhell »

having the same problems banshee, gnome 3, moving mouse nothing else work, copy and past all your problem i got them too :evil:

mircea_c
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mircea_c »

I'm experiencing this bug too. When I start typing in the applications overlay, gnome "re-spawns". If I try to do this twice in a row, the window manager just crashes for good and I have to log out and back in to fix it.

Return to “Others”