[Solved] Mint 12: No "Recent Items" in the Overlay

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MC Beathoven
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Mint 12: No "Recent Items" in the Overlay

Post by MC Beathoven »

I can't see the "Recent Items" (= Recently used Files) in the Overlay-View of the GNOME-Shell. Also the directory ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel is always empty. Is it disabled by Linux Mint 12?

If yes, is there a way to enable the function (e.g. using DConf-Editor)?

P.S: I attach a screenshot of an Overlay where the "Recent Items" are shown: http://images.derstandard.at/2011/03/31 ... 514204.jpg
Last edited by MC Beathoven on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 12: No "Recent Items" in the Overlay

Post by bimsebasse »

Works here. Have you forgotten to type something (like how "s" is typed in the screenshot)?
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
MC Beathoven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MC Beathoven »

No, I forgot not to type. I once again tested now: I saved a new odt-file with the name Test.odt. When I type a 't' in the searchbox, the overlay only shows:
- Applications
- Settings
- Places And Devices

(I use the german version. Sorry if the english names above are not correct).
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

I have exactly the same problem: no recent item list in the Gnome Shell overlay. Any ideas?

Unfortunately this is quite frustrating, if I want to open something recent I have to launch the application first then look in its recent items list...

Rehdon
MC Beathoven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MC Beathoven »

I guess what's the reason (but I don't know if this is actually the reason why!): Before LM12 I had Ubuntu 10.10 installed on my Computer - with a separate home-partition. In former times I disabled the feature "Show recently used files" using the Ubuntu-Tweak-Tool. When I installed LM12 a few days ago, I integrated the separate home-partition (that means, I preserved most of the Ubuntu-configuration).

When I have a look at the item recently-used.xbel (~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel) I can see, that on my computer this item is a directory. I googled a little bit and found out, that the item recently-used.xbel should be a file containing the information for the "recently used files". I guess, the Ubuntu-Tweak-Tool transformed the file recently-used.xbel to a directory. And I suppose, that this fact has an influence on Zeitgeist (~/.local/share/zeitgeist).

I don't want the overlay show the "Recent Items". That's why I won't change the congfiguration I currently have. Maybe someone has the same situation on his/her computer and can tell us, if I'm right.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Thanks for this info. I both have a separate /home partition which I share with my previous 10.10 install (I guess that might be a bad idea, considering the changes that occurred >_<) and used Ubuntu Tweak in the past. WIll look at it when I get back home :)

Rehdon
MC Beathoven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MC Beathoven »

My assumption seems to be true. This Blog (http://askubuntu.com/questions/82584/pr ... cent-items) says: "Gnome-shell uses recently-used and not Zeitgeist to display your recent items." And actually it is the file ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel that is showing or not showing the recent items in the Overlay of the GNOME-Shell.

The Blog shows a solution for enabling and disabling this function.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] Mint 12: No "Recent Items" in the Overlay

Post by Rehdon »

Thanks a lot :)

Rehdon

Return to “Others”