Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TranceMusicAddict
Level 1
Level 1

Mit 12: Icon and GTK Theme won't apply

Post by TranceMusicAddict »

Hey
I just installed Mint 12 from the DVD and tweaked around a bit. While doing so I stumbled on severeal more or less significant issues:
First of all: My Mint doesn't look quite like the Screenshots. I have the ugly grey Gnome default icons and my windows kinda look like they used to look in Win 95. The only thing that I was able to modify is the Shell theme and the theme the window decorator uses.
I'd like to somehow get the default Mint 12 icons to work aswell as a less ugly GTK theme (mine sorta looks like some kind of fallback). The curser theme won't apply either but that's not that important.
Btw, is there a way to change the lable color of the Desktop labels? Cause i can't read any of them with my dark wallpaper.

Any ideas?

Thx in advance

Kind regards

TMA
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mit 12: Icon and GTK Theme won't apply

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
TranceMusicAddict
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I actually already installed several themes but like I said, none of them seems to work. I don't get error messages or anything but neither Alt+F2 and r nor a reboot does apply the changes. Besides, isn't Mint 12 supposed to have a preset theme (the one in the screenshots) instead of the default gnome 3 one?
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Something is definitely terribly wrong, your window manager has gone into fallback mode - have you tried a reinstall? Are you on a new laptop or antiquated hardware?
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
TranceMusicAddict
Level 1
Level 1

I'm actually not on a notebook at all, hardware is pretty new, I just built this PC myself.

Mainboard: ZOTAC z68 WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
GPU: Nvidia GeForce gtx 470 (Palit own design) (first i had a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 but Linux crashed all the time with that so I swiched)
RAM: 2x4GB 1333MhZ DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws
HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD

This install actually is a fresh install, I used the RC before and figured that the stable release might fix the issue but apparently it didn't.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
smsmith
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smsmith »

You didn't log in as root, did you?

Since you have newer hardware, have you tried the proprietary nVidia driver?
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
TranceMusicAddict
Level 1
Level 1

No I didn't log in as root and yes, i use the proprietary driver. Like I said, the Shell itself works fine. I chose the post-release updated version of the driver in jockey-gtk. Could that be the reason?
Last edited by TranceMusicAddict on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TranceMusicAddict
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any ideas?
Apparently no GTK3 based UI works properly for me...
Seems like I'll have to revert to LM 10 and enjoy the last 4 months of support... ever since gnome 2 got dropped things stopped working out for me and KDE is not an option since GTK3 apps won't get themed properly there aswell...

EDIT:

Here are two screenshots showcasing how my OS looks a) with default settings: http://www.adrib.de/screenie1.jpg and b) with custom settings: http://www.adrib.de/screenie2.jpg
The 2nd screenshot was made using the Zuckitwo theme from gnome-look.org and yes, I installed the required engine etc :P As you can see nothing but the window decorator theme changed despite the new settings for the cursors, the icons and the GTK theme.
(And yes, I didn't install full language support yet :P)
TranceMusicAddict
Level 1
Level 1

I just did a fresh install and did nothing to it except installing the proprietary driver.
Here is what it looks like now: http://www.adrib.de/screenie3.jpg

Any help to get at least the default mint look to work would be highly appreciated!
TranceMusicAddict
Level 1
Level 1

I just noticed that there is no "forced fallback" switch. Could this have to do something with my problem?
smsmith
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smsmith »

I'm thinking you might not have all of the gtk theme engines installed, which might me causing your problem. For instance, Firefox is still using GTK2, so you need the GTK2 engines, and if you are using a GTK3 theme, make sure it supports GTK2 (there will be a GTK3 and a GTK2 folder inside the folder theme). Ultimately, this might boil down to a localization thing. What language did you install?
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
sirweldsalot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sirweldsalot »

pretty ghastly aint it?
well this happened on every machine i put this on (all older lappys)
i decided to give mint a shot and i'm this close (holding my fingers about a 1/4 inch apart) to going back to 'buntu 11.4.
i've done so much tweaking that it's hard to retrace my steps (i got my own pic on the login screen but i can't remember how....).
as far as the disgusting new and improved theme goes (because it worked so well in old gnome they had to mess with it) heres what i glued together...
i went to advanced settings and chose adwaita from the list huge list of options that was chosen for me for the gtk theme.
as far as the window theme goes-i have nuvola now but i think esco was there by default and that looked a little less win95 so i used it at first.
lastly i went to synaptic and installed 'gnome color chooser' and screwed with the global menu until most the grey was gone and i ended up looking ok.
i'm still trying to get the white pointer to change.....
i know it's still new but this is very frustrating.
i hope i helped. now i'm gonna get back to trying to find some hardware sensor applets......i'm a welder not a tech expert but i'm trying...
good luck.
burns
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 12: Icon and GTK Theme won't apply

Post by burns »

Im also having this issue. Fresh install and everything gtk+ and icon related is just stuck at the old gray boring "fallback" theme.
I have done 2 reinstalls but it is still the same. used alt-f2 r restart, logout/login and all that between changing settings in "Advanced Settings". No luck. If I start mate-control-center and just click Apperance, the windows theme actually changes to whats set in Advanced Settings and I can select different themes from there. But Icons on the desktop dont change. And nothing is saved upon logout... Its a coupple of years old machine with a GTX260 nvidia card.

From the same install source I have installed Mint 12 on my laptop and there everything looks and behaves like it should out of the box.

I would guess it something to do with the Nvidia card/drivers but thats just a hunch...

Return to “Others”