Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tacoz
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 12 driving me mad!

Post by tacoz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:30 am

OK... I'm gonna have to -1 myself!

It's the last day of 2011 and I decided to upgrade my BIOS and then re-look at my Lisa live-cd. I didn't experience previous problems with panels disappearing etc. So. Backed up my home folder and did a fresh install of Mint12. I did a number of logouts and updates and each time panels stayed put. This install felt and seemed more stable as well. Played around with switching shell extensions off-on to learn what was doing what. Bottom line is that I've resigned myself to saying goodbye to my preferred way of working with windows and settled on a hybrid of a single gnome3 panel at the top displaying window tasks (ie no bottom panel). I can live with that... I figure that gnome3 can only get better!

EDIT:
Discovered that I can run a pure gnome3 or a classic version--kinda like gnome2, that I am using for now--simply by choosing an option at the logon session!
Now I can definitely stay with Lisa!

tacoz
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 12 driving me mad (not!)

Post by tacoz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:25 am

Seriously! I am so impressed with Lisa!
Why did I even bother with flicking options on or off? The logon session has exactly what I need to get back to my preferred way of working with windows!
Definitely have un-plused myself from my original perspectives of this version... now, I just have to figure out if MATE is the way to go or do I wean myself into gnome3 proper.
Mate rules! Gnome3 rules! It's like a win-win on my end!

DrMartinus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DrMartinus » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am

lucky you (if that wasn't sarcasm). I've moved now to Kubuntu and am very happy with it. There were too many problems with LinuxMint.
Dr. Martinus, Linux user since 1999
Current system: LinuxMint 12, AMD 64-bit, Gnome Desktop, up-to-date (at least I try)
I'm German, so I might translate terms and software names the wrong way. Please apologize and ask if something is unclear

tacoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tacoz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:57 am

Update...
Uninstalled MATE and pretty much work with Cinnamon.
While default Gnome 3 is interesting, if Cinnamon weren't an option, I'd be changing my session at login to Gnome Classic (however I don't like two panels and there doesn't appear to be a simple method to rationalise to one...) but Cinnamon does and is getting better with each version so for now... Cinnamon rules!

Return to “Others”