Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Alt + Tab Not working on LM12 [SOLVED]

Post by Kikito »

Hello!

I've been having this problem for a while and after not finding anything about it online (maybe I'm not the best "googler" out there) here I am with my woes.

Early on since I installed LM12, the Alt+Tab functionality just sort of disappeared. Even disabling the "window switching" Alt+Tab extension for the default "application switching" Alt+Tab yields no results. Also, when I press Alt+', I get the Alt+Tab display showing me the "contents" of the first application on the list but no way to switch to the other via that method.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Last edited by Kikito on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Alt + Tab Not working on LM12

Post by bimsebasse »

Check that the ALT+Tab shortcut hasn't somehow been set to disabled in keyboard settings

Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Alt + Tab Not working on LM12

Post by Kikito »

That seems to have been it! Strange, though, since I have never been to that menu in my life.

Many thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Alt + Tab Not working on LM12 [SOLVED]

Post by bimsebasse »

I had my Alt+F2 turn itself off the same way. Gremlins.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
vlad_tsepes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vlad_tsepes »

I'm having the same problem on Mint 11. However, I've been into the keyboard mapping and Alt-Tab appears to be mapped to "Move between windows using a pop-up window". It just doesn't work. Nor does Alt+Escape. Alt+F1, Alt+F2 work fine.

I tried remapping to Win+Tab and that didn't work, then mapped it back and again no joy. I tried another (simpler) keyboard and that didn't work.

I note that in a terminal, when I press Alt+Tab I get the bash prompt to "Display all xxx possibilities? (y or n)" so it is not differentiating between a simple Tab and a shifted Tab.

All this was done without root privileges as I'm assuming that 'root' isn't needed.

[Edit] Damn I hate this! It's just started working. Hasn't worked since I installed Mint 11 a couple of months ago and now, when I post to the forum, it starts to work!

What happened was that when testing various Alt+ combinations, I tried Alt+Space which is supposed to open the window menu. As has happened before, when the window menu is opened, all window decorations (scroll bars, menus, buttons) disappeared. I'd posted this previously and some kind person had told me to get them back by switching window managers from the Compiz Fusion icon. So I did. I then killed the window decorations again - to see it was still happening with that WM - and restored them by switching to the original WM Metacity. Suddenly Alt+Tab works! W.T.F.??

Well it is an ugly thing but it seems to work so let's leave it there.
drcktx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drcktx »

Vlad, alt+F2 and type in ccsm and look for ViewPort Switcher and Windows Decorations and make sure they are enabled.

Return to “Others”