Alt-F2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Recorder
Level 1
Level 1

Alt-F2

Post by The Recorder »

Can someone tell me where the file is that keeps a record of your Alt-F2 entries. There are many entries that I would like to delete, especially mistakes.

Thanks
The Recorder
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Alt-F2

Post by The Recorder »

I'm pushing this up because my time zone may have prevented many users from reading it. There's got to be some Mint/Gnome3 Pro that has the answer. The entries have to be stored somewhere. Before Gnome3, there was a gconf-editor key that actually would permit you to delete and even arrange past entries. But, I've searched it and the dconf, and even the Mate configuration editors, and can't find anything.

Tanks
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Might look this thread over.
The Recorder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Recorder »

lmintnewb wrote:Might look this thread over.
Thanks, but that is discussing terminal commands (,bash_history)... That is a separate list, and does not include "run" commands issued from the run command prompt brought up with Alt-F2.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

I put my not inconsiderable google powers to work on this. As I hate being wrong ( Argghhh though it happens quite a bit it seems ... Arghhhh again ! D: ) and learn a lot from stuff people post like this, lol.

Try this ?

My 1st thought was bleachbit, have used it on occasion and nothing bad happened ... yet. While didn't want to mention it, cuz have seen other people say it can break stuff or this or that. Goes w/o saying o course ... USE AT YOUR OWN RISK either way. :D

Would think, though don't know for certain stuff like that would get rotated, kinda like bash history. Would be strange if things were setup to allow run dialogue history to grow indefinitely ... Errrr ... dunno.

Cya. :D

If ya ever do figure it out ... Mind telling the rest of us how ?
The Recorder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Recorder »

The last entry in the "How do I clean my Run list?" link (that you provided me) is how I cleaned it up until Mint 12. Those gconf-editor keys and related files no longer exist. I'm starting to think that the upkeep of this list is now done by "zeitgeist", and is somewhere in a database.

Will keep hunting, and keep you and others informed.
hellwoodfire

Post by hellwoodfire »

In linux mint cinnamon,

Read the ALT-F2 history with this command:

Code: Select all

dconf read /org/cinnamon/command-history
Clear the ALT-F2 history with this command:

Code: Select all

dconf reset /org/cinnamon/command-history
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

It wouldn't help at all for those who wised to edit this list. But for those who merely wish to have the ability to delete it in its entirety, it'd be nice if the relevant developer would add a feature where the user can simply activate the finder and, instead of typing something to find, press something like CTRL-Delete and clear the history.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
pg11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pg11 »

This post is old, but for anyone who happens to want to know the solution for mate desktop, run the following command in terminal:
dconf reset /org/mate/panel/general/history-mate-run

additional information:
if you want to clean the search history in mate desktop, you can do run the following command:
dconf reset /org/mate/search-tool/search-history

enjoy :D

Return to “Software & Applications”