Is the LXDE project dead?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HOOHAA

Re: Is the LXDE project dead?

Post by HOOHAA »

sunewbie wrote:LXDE is definitely doing better and gaining popularity :)
Indeed it's and I see more users are shifting from other DEs to LXDE daily.

I am just an end user, still i feel that even though Development may be slow, LXDE is mature and stable :)
Don't underestimate the power/ability of the end user :) without those users, any OS/Project would never reach to the point where it's right now. IMHO, the developers must listen to the users who are using their systems. If developers keep listening to themselves, then probably they will end up using their own OS alone :)
Regarding having icons on desktop, I will have a look at it again, was just recalling on memory, during early days when I just shifted from Windows to Ubuntu.
It's ok and if you need anything, let me know :)

P.S.
I'm not a developer, I'm just a member who likes Lubuntu and LXDE a lot :D
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

seppalta wrote:Links (icons) on the LXDE desktop is quick - copy, small edit and paste: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#11 .
Thank you for the link. I will try.

Well, End users have a coding phobia. Piling the layers, going under-the-hood is not end user characteristic, though I like learning and would definitely try it. It gives more control and a good feeling after successfully tweaking settings. The definition of 'Easy' is not easy to define :) It's different for different users.

As HOOHAA said, things should not be compared and not every request can be fulfilled. So I will be at peace and do not mind learning new things.
HOOHAA wrote: It's ok and if you need anything, let me know :)
Thanks for support.

Sorry Vincent and mods, my apologies for stealing this thread.
Last edited by sunewbie on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

@ HOOHAA: Thanks for updating on the status of LXDE, good to hear. I hope that a structural solution is on the horizon for the hosting problems. BTW, have you heard any concrete plans or timelines for LXDE to migrate to GTK+ 3?

For XFCE I learned that the next version early next year (4.10) will still use GTK+ 2, and the project will put effort in migrating 4.10 to GTK+ 3 base later that year. Yeah, I still haven't decided on XFCE or LXDE :lol: Next to getting some more personal user experience with both, the GTK+ 3 migration is one of the major deciding factors for me.

@ sunewbie: no worries on the thread hijacking, I always like reading your comments anyway :wink: And I've been MIA here for a while I see :(
Alohacoconut78

Post by Alohacoconut78 »

xenopeek wrote:...the GTK+ 3 migration is one of the major deciding factors for me.
I don't know what the LXDE team's feelings are about GTK+ 3, but I've read an interview, or a post explaining some design decisions, with/by the main developer of LXDE. He/they pretty much hate GTK+ 2 and would like to switch to something lighter. Couldn't find the interview/post with minimal effort, but it's out there somewhere.

Edit: Found it:
http://lxde.sourceforge.net/faq.html
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks! ( :oops: for not checking the faq)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Anyone have any news on the next LXDE Mint release?
Thanks.
KBD47
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It is likely under development, though focus is on releasing LM12 KDE edition right now.

Any to clarify, I wanted to know what was up with the official LXDE website (as it has been unreachable so often). I didn't mean to worry anybody about the status of the Linux Mint LXDE edition!

Return to “Software & Applications”