Stable alternative to Gnome 3?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
allya
Level 1
Level 1

Stable alternative to Gnome 3?

Post by allya »

I'm new to Linux and have successfully installed Mint 12 on several desktops. I'm using the default Gnome 3 interface and have found it to be buggy. There are mainly two issues:

- In some desktops, users are unable to restore or maximize minimized windows. Clicking on it does not bring the window up. Alt+F2+r fixes the problem, but since the desktops are being used in a work environment it's not really efficient for users to be reloading the shell every time.

- I've installed Twinkle softphone, and sometimes Twinkle disappears from the bottom and top panel, such that there is no way to click on it to bring up the Twinkle window. I put a Twinkle launcher on the desktop, and if the user clicks on it, it'll say Twinkle was already running, but it won't bring back the app. So we have to kill the process, then relaunch the app.

I've been reading up online and, since this does not happen all the time to all of the computers, have attributed it to Gnome 3 just being new and buggy (correct me if I'm wrong). Being new to this, can anyone give suggestions as to which is the most stable desktop interface to use with Mint 12? I don't need any fancy features, just stability. as the desktops will be used mainly for browsing and making calls.

Thanks!

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Stable alternative to Gnome 3?

Post by mank_in »

Try MATE desktop , its stable for me :)

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

My personal opinion would be Xfce. The Xfce4 meta package desktop can be installed from Synaptic Package Manager. You just log into it. You might need to tweak your fonts to get them looking nice, but it is a stable desktop and you can configure it as you like.
Cinnamon is nice and getting better. MATE is improving. But for me Xfce is ready for prime time right now and reliable.
KBD47

Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

I suggest KDE. The original KDE 4.0 was buggy and not easy to use. Over time it has matured a lot. You'll find more ways to customize your desktop than you'll find in Gnome. In some reviews, it beats Windows 7 in usability.

Chris

allya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by allya »

I've got all three installed now, Mate by default since it comes with Mint 12. The fonts do need some tweaking to look nicer. :) Xfce does seem to be pretty stable and speedy, KDE 4.8 is certainly the prettiest of them and the most configurable and does seem at this point to be more usable than Win 7, and certainly a lot faster. This is the first time I've tried Linux so I can't compare any of the DEs to their older versions, but so far KDE 4.8 seems to be stable too and relatively fast, it just won't display the network-manager icon in the system tray. And it has problems with Wicd.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Return to “Others”