Ethernet and Wireless problems.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bounddyy

Ethernet and Wireless problems.

Post by bounddyy »

Trying out Mint now irritated by the damn internet problems!

First, My Ethernet is moody AF right now i don't know why it won't connect says connecting... then drops and I've tested it, but then randomly connects gets no internet connection. Stupid shit. :x

Second, My wireless detects all the wireless connections even with the correct passwords it won't connect then when i try to connect it to an open wifi it connects but gets no internet connection.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Ethernet and Wireless problems.

Post by Pierre »

is this using the live environment ?

what LinuxMint version - are you testing?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
bounddyy

Post by bounddyy »

no this is a full install.
bounddyy

Post by bounddyy »

Pierre wrote:is this using the live environment ?

what LinuxMint version - are you testing?
no its a full install
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Bounddyy, is this an LM18 Cinnamon 64 install?
I am having a similar with a new install. it works then it does not. internet is fine but WIFI email wont send. Errors say the server is not compliant with my set up. Yet a different laptop 6 inches away with identical OS and setup works fine, with the same server. :shock:
bounddyy

Post by bounddyy »

Tomgin5 wrote:Bounddyy, is this an LM18 Cinnamon 64 install?
I am having a similar with a new install. it works then it does not. internet is fine but WIFI email wont send. Errors say the server is not compliant with my set up. Yet a different laptop 6 inches away with identical OS and setup works fine, with the same server. :shock:
yes it is, I'm not gonna bother testing this on my laptop lol really really trying not to look over Mint from a minor problem but it's damn right annoying and cannot find it under google either.
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

Let's get a look at your system. Copy and paste the following into a terminal.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Post the output here.
bounddyy

Post by bounddyy »

TooMuchTime wrote:Let's get a look at your system. Copy and paste the following into a terminal.

inxi -Fxz
Post the output here.
Okay so when i copy the terminal output to a txt file on a USB it would simply display random "y" characters in the thousands so i took a screenshot instead >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnewm4cdmyhnr ... 9.png?dl=0
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

Perfect!

You've got an Atheros AR942 WiFi card. Open Menu > Administration > Driver Manager and see if the Atheros driver is installed. It may be the one that says recommended. You can try that driver and see if your Wifi connection improves.

You may see the one for the Realtek card too. You can try that one as well.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The results show the wireless interface is down. Post result for

rfkill list all; ifconfig
You should be able to route that to a text file without issue
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I rebooted the laptop with the "alt/sysrq then the "r","e","i","s","u","b" while in the WIFI setup window and connected but not communicating. The laptop rebooted and has been working fine ever since with over a dozen different boots at different places. :D
bounddyy

Post by bounddyy »

TooMuchTime wrote:Perfect!

You've got an Atheros AR942 WiFi card. Open Menu > Administration > Driver Manager and see if the Atheros driver is installed. It may be the one that says recommended. You can try that driver and see if your Wifi connection improves.

You may see the one for the Realtek card too. You can try that one as well.
There are literally only 2 drivers showing up one for AMD64 (unkown) and the 2nd for my graphics card.
JeremyB wrote:The results show the wireless interface is down. Post result for

rfkill list all; ifconfig
You should be able to route that to a text file without issue
okay so I tried to copy text and even screenshots whatever, whenever i copy something form my dekstop linux mint on to a USB to transfer and upload here either on my Mac or Windows Laptop they both show the disk as corrupt. I've formatted and tried 10 times but something's really wrong. FYI yes i'm ejecting it from the system before unplugging it too. so i had to take a photo with my phone and upload it...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcwrod0549vq4 ... 7.jpg?dl=0
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

rfkill unblock all
Should get wifi back up and running
bounddyy

Post by bounddyy »

JeremyB wrote:

rfkill unblock all
Should get wifi back up and running

okay so ran this, wifi connected but no internet connection and ethernet still says connecting and won't connect.

okay nvm they both still dont connect rainbows random piece of shit!!!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

See what

iwlist scan | egrep -i 'ssid|cipher'
If the result shows TKIP under the network you are trying to connect to, then that is the problem and you would need to change the router encryption settings to WPA2-AES
bounddyy

Post by bounddyy »

JeremyB wrote:See what

If the result shows TKIP under the network you are trying to connect to, then that is the problem and you would need to change the router encryption settings to WPA2-AES
it states "Interface doesn't support scanning"

--- ALSO since this reboot the wifi is connected now but no internet connection still.
bounddyy

Post by bounddyy »

anyone know a fix to this ?
rbn

Post by rbn »

JeremyB wrote:See what

JeremyB, I have similar internet issues as bounddyy. And your command indeed shows TKIP for the network I try to connect. How can I change my router encryption to WPA2-AES?

Return to “Networking”