Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Strange networking problem

Post by NiksaVel » Fri May 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Hey all,

I have recently changed my home routers and came to a need to use a fixed IP for the first time.

So I went and set up a new connection in network-manager and got the assigned values.

Now here is the strange part... if I use the manually assigned fixed IP I have local network connectivity, but no internet. If I use DHCP I have both (but my local shares dont work if I keep changing the IP - hence the need for a fixed one).

Looking that the ifconfig output I get completely identical output, wether I use DHCP or manual... but on manual no internet.

(checked and triple checked that gateway, subnet and DNS settings indeed are identical).

Anyone got any ideas?
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Strange networking problem

Post by mintybits » Fri May 18, 2012 7:12 pm

The problem may be that when you set a fixed IP your router isn't aware of it so it cannot route responses from the internet back to your linux box. When you use DHCP obviously the router knows because it issued the address. There are several ways to deal with this but a very easy one is to use DHCP but configure your router to always assign your linux box the same IP address. Most routers let you assign a static IP for a specific MAC address.

NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Strange networking problem

Post by NiksaVel » Sat May 19, 2012 3:06 am

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

I have used reserved IP by MAC addresses on my previous setup (it was an old P1 box with IPcop on it, but due to age it started breaking down all the time)... hence my new Linksys WAG120N... it doesn't appear to have the reserved IP option...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

Return to “Ethernet”