Is there any alternative Network Manager for Maya?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shams

Is there any alternative Network Manager for Maya?

Post by shams »

Is there any alternative network manager for Lisa? Hopefully already you have known about the bug of gnome network manager. However at this moment I have to activate my (DSL) net connection every time by using below command:
sudo pkill -9 NetworkManager
Kind help is appreciated :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Is there any alternative Network Manager for Lisa?

Post by AlbertP »

You can maybe use wicd instead of NetworkManager. Or if you don't need NetworkManager at all to connect (which you seem to suggest, if you need to disable it to connect), you can maybe just remove it from Package Manager (unless it wants to remove too much programs that depend on it).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
shams

Post by shams »

AlbertP wrote:You can maybe use wicd instead of NetworkManager.
Is wicd works with pppoe connection? If it is, then how come?
shams

Post by shams »

After trying wicd, I think that it will not work with pppoe connection :(
Any other option?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can add the command which you needed to get the connection working, to Startup Applications.
shams

Post by shams »

AlbertP wrote:You can add the command which you needed to get the connection working, to Startup Applications.
How?
BTW: is network manager problem solved?
shams

Re: Is there any alternative Network Manager for Maya?

Post by shams »

A little bit corrction on subject. My question actually for Maya not for Lisa? Sorry for the wrong question :oops:
However, can I use alternative network manager like xfce nm or kde nm on maya?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, shams.

The question - on Lisa or on Maya, does not make the big difference in this case - is whether you really have to use pppoeconf instead of Network Manager or instead of wcid?

One particular setup where I had to use pppoeconf

In the good old days when I did not have a Fritz! Box which acts as router, dhcp server, firewall, dsl modem etc pp, but only a dumb DSL modem, in those not so comfortable old days, it was the Linux system which had to authenticate with the DSL provider directly, because the dumb DSL modem could not do so.
This was the only situation in which I had to use pppoeconf in order to setup the required configuration on my local Linux machine.
Once I had done so, Network Manager would recognize my wired interface had been configured by some other software and refuse to touch it. So I never had to kill Network Manager.

All other usage scenarios covered by Network Manager

Ever since the DSL modem has been replaced by a Fritz! Box (router, dsl modem and more) it is the Fritz! Box which establishes the connection to my DSL provider and which performs the authentication.
Ever since this time, pppoeconf has been sent to retirement on all local Linux machines. It is no longer needed.
With respect to wired connections, simply plugging in the cable and waiting for Network Manager to do its job is sufficient.
With respect to wireless connections, there is a one time setup (select the desired WLAN network, enter logon credentials, tick the option to auto-connect). Ever after there is no need to tinker with anything.

So the crucial question is: What is your network setup? Why do you have to use pppoeconf at all?
Provided you really have to use pppoeconf, in this case Network Manager should not touch the corresponding network interface at all.
If two programmes, pppoeconf and Network Manager, try to configure the same network interface this will inevitably cause trouble.

Kind regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
At the time being network configuration is performed with the help of Network Manager on my machines that run
+ Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx
+ Linux Mint 12 Lisa
+ Linux Mint 13 Maya
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
shams

Post by shams »

I know very little about networking and networking related contents - this my confession @ first :oops: U can treat me as a newbie :P
karlchen wrote:is whether you really have to use pppoeconf instead of Network Manager or instead of wcid?
Actually my objective is to use Network Manager (NM) which will make auto connection on the startup. But it is not started autometically on the startup as I expected. So that, I have to restart NM every time by using the command which I stated on very first post of this topic. I was trying to use wicd. But it doesn't support pppoe connection. Below picture shows the condition of my NM @ startup:
karlchen wrote:What is your network setup?
I am using LAN network. My ISP provided username and password only.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Do you have a router between your computer and the DSL connection? Then you should be able to configure your router to connect with the specified username and password instead of needing to use PPPoE.

Maybe you can use NetworkManager anyway and add the pkill command to Startup Applications to make PPPoE work.
shams

Post by shams »

AlbertP wrote:Do you have a router between your computer and the DSL connection? Then you should be able to configure your router to connect with the specified username and password instead of needing to use PPPoE.
There is a router. But that is not mine. That is my ISP's. So, that is maintained by my ISP.
AlbertP wrote:Maybe you can use NetworkManager anyway and add the pkill command to Startup Applications to make PPPoE work.
How can I do that? Would u please explain me? Please show me it graphically if possible. Thanx.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The command requires to be run as root (i.e. with sudo), so it's slightly more complex. Maybe you can add pkill -9 NetworkManager to /etc/rc.local - but I'm not sure if the command is run after the PPPoE connection is made if you do it that way. You can at least try it:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
A text editor will open. Before the exit 0 line you can add pkill -9 NetworkManager (without sudo).
shams

Post by shams »

AlbertP wrote:The command requires to be run as root (i.e. with sudo), so it's slightly more complex. Maybe you can add pkill -9 NetworkManager to /etc/rc.local - but I'm not sure if the command is run after the PPPoE connection is made if you do it that way. You can at least try it:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
A text editor will open. Before the exit 0 line you can add pkill -9 NetworkManager (without sudo).
Thank u very much brother :D It's working :)
nomko

Post by nomko »

shams wrote:After trying wicd, I think that it will not work with pppoe connection :(
Any other option?
I think Google can help you:
http://www.google.nl/#hl=nl&sclient=psy ... 41&bih=634 :wink:

Return to “Networking”