Help! My company hired Microsoft fanboys to design our Web!!

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:15 pm

OMFG! They really did it! My employer hired some stupid Microsoft fanboys and fangirls to do the web design on our Intranet!! :evil:

So these morons have already begun their perverted work and changed some pages to the bad.

- e.g. they use file:// hyperlinks instead of the standards-compliant http:// hyperlinks that standards-compliant browsers such as Opera and Firefox expect ... of course, non-standards compliant Internet Explorer will happily follow such crippled links no matter what. Their excuse is: "But it works with MSIE ... "

- e.g. they don't use fully qualified domain names in their hyperlinks, e.g. instead of linking to a site by calling it's full hostname including the domain part they very often leave the domain part away. "But it works for all the people on Windows ... " Yeah sure, but it doesn't work for us admins and all the other Linux users any more.

UUUAAAARGH. I am going to tear their heads off. :shock:

And what do my stupid managers say? "They are web designers, and if the Microsoft Frontpage software thing they use does this per default then it must be correct, right? ..... "

Does anyone have any good link to some W3C or RFC stuff where it clearly says that "file:// " tags are supposed to reference local files and local files only and are NOT a replacement for clean and correct http:// hyperlinks? Under normal circumstances I'd be searching myself but my blood pressure is exploding right now. You wouldn't believe what nonsense those morons did in our Intranet ... :evil: UUUUAAAAH. :shock:

Anyone have experience with such morons? How did you get rid of them? (job-wise ... I am not suggesting or condoning any criminal actions here that could physically harm any living being ... I just want those morons to stop messing with our Intranet!)

I think I have a good chance stopping those idiots if I can backup my claims about them violating established web standards if I had a few good links to authoritative documents or so. Anyone? :?

ajt3nc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt3nc » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:20 am

try running any of the number of security based live cd tools on the site.
If you are able to expose the flaws, no one can dispute the security risks.

The majority of hackers now use php flaws , and a few asp errors, to penetrate.

Does your business use a dedicated frontpage server to host the site? If you have to switch to a server not supporting the extensions things get odd.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:35 am

Live CD's ??? How is that supposed to help me? Sorry, I don't get it. :?

I found some internal pages that define our company's worldwide IT standards, and on one of the pages it says that web pages have to be tested with both MSIE and Firefox 1.5+ ... And my IT folks are confirming this. So I will feed those web designer idiots to corporate IT :twisted:

But still ... does anyone have any links to any W3C or RFC document that would clearly outlaw file:// hyperlinks on web sites? The problem is that they might change any of the policies that are currently in my favour, so it would be better if I can show them "Look, if we do this, we look like a bunch of morons because our web site isn't standards compliant anymore ... " ...

Anyone?

nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:25 am

http://validator.w3.org/
?????
There used to be a tool in Konqueror for it. not sure about the links though
May, or may not be of use.
Nick

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Help! My company hired Microsoft fanboys to design our W

Post by scorp123 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:56 pm

Ah yeah! That's a good one :D Thanks 8)

carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:41 pm

Hey Scorp, I definitely feel your pain, I've worked with plenty of people using m$ technology some were excellent coders, others crappy. m$ technology lets programmers get away with crappy coding and not having to adhere to conventional standards.

I'm not sure how much influence you have within your company, but If there is a way for you to show the shoddy workmanship of these consultants and what it will cost the company in the long run, maybe it will be addressed with them from the beginning and the technology can be somewhat useful instead of frustrating.

As for a file:// being used as a url its just bad programming. And the w3c validator Nick linked to you should help.

Good luck!
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:11 am

carlos wrote:Hey Scorp, I definitely feel your pain,
Nailed them!!! :D Now it's them feeling the pain :twisted: Oh well ... I don't call myself "scorp" for nothing :twisted: I had the boss of my boss kick their boss in the butt. Apparently it was some serious butt-kicking orgy and their boss, being a loser, couldn't let it stand like that and had to take it out onto someone, so he in turn kicked those web designers around. Now they run like hell when they see me coming :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:52 am

Heh heh! In cauda venenum... :D

carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:55 am

Sweet lickerish! The scorp strikes again! I was wondering what happened. Glad the ass kicking had some effect, so does this mean the m$ people are going to straighten their act out or are they stopping the project?

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:31 pm

carlos wrote:so does this mean the m$ people are going to straighten their act out or are they stopping the project?
They're still around, but guess what: Now they're double-checking every single one of their crappy pages with Firefox with their boss standing behind them ... I guess his butt still hurts :twisted:

They're in for another unpleasant surprise which they don't know anything about yet :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ...

One of my IT apprentices has seen them messing around with cracked copies of PhotoShop, DreamWeaver and some other commercial software packages for which they didn't pay zipp ...

Corporate IT is going to pay them a visit soon .... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:12 pm

When it rains, it pours. That will definitely be an issue. This is playing out like a great show. What will happen next? :wink:

bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:50 am

Cracked copies hmmm?

Man, I love working with FOSS. No worries with licenses or other MS style shenanigans.

I happened to read an article today about how using Linux was "damaging" the software landscape, by propagating "unprofessional" software and pushing it as legitimate alternatives to "real" software by the likes of MS, et al.

It sounds quite a bit like sour grapes on their part to me. As much as I personally dislike MS and their style of doing business, I still can't see how people with no vested interest in Microsoft or MS allies , or even Linux, for that matter, can be so emotionally defensive about which OS to use.

I always tell business customers to use what is working. If they have a functioning MS system, don't mess with it until they need to. When it comes time to re up licenses they might take that opportunity to look at Linux or other alternatives. That type of conversation.

But, for as much as I see linux fanboys get bent out of shape, MS fanboys can just go wild.

I guess I just don't get the "fanboy" thing. I love Linux but I don't see that value or logic in getting so overwrought in the issue.

Good for you though scorp, when it comes to open and compliance standards, everyone should be concerned about fair practices and implementation.

These people, intentionally or not, would have been pushing the exclusionist values of MS and left people out of access just because of personal interests ( or just plain laziness, succumbing to MS sneaky defaults)

kudos to you.

Big Bear

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:00 pm

bigbearomaha wrote:These people, intentionally or not, would have been pushing the exclusionist values of MS and left people out of access just because of personal interests ( or just plain laziness, succumbing to MS sneaky defaults)
I think it's sheer stupidity on their part; also proven by the fact that they dared to use cracked software in a corporate environment where this clearly is strictly 1000% forbidden. That was a serious butt-kicking festival, I can tell you :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

But the main problem is again Microsoft, IMHO: It allows the user to do stupid things, e.g. fabricate non-standard URL's and hyperlinks. They would notice that if they would use a standards-compliant browser such as Opera or Firefox, but hell no, they use MSIE to test their crappy pages, and there of course it also works; MSIE of course fully supports every crappy non-standard thing that FrontPage allows their users to come up with. And hence these people think that this utterly broken Microsoft BS is the standard. What a bunch of morons. :twisted:

Now they run like hell when they see me :D

Return to “Ethernet”