New Installation LinuxMint 2.2--What about firewall?

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pohutukawa
Level 1
Level 1

New Installation LinuxMint 2.2--What about firewall?

Post by pohutukawa » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:31 pm

Last night I successfully installed LinuxMint 2.2. This is my first exposure to LinuxMint.

One item that is not apparent to me is whether or not standard LinuxMint installation automatically sets up a firewall.

It seems that some Linux distros automatically set up a firewall, but they are rarely clear about this very important crucial item. I cannot assume anything.

What's the scoop, please, regarding firewall setup? Is it included?

Regardless, a high priority usability suggestion: Make it clear during installation of LinuxMint whether or not a separate firewall setup is needed or is automatically set up. Thank you.

|_NiGhTmArE_|
Level 1
Level 1

Post by |_NiGhTmArE_| » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:16 pm

linux mint and the other linux distros are shipped with iptable that can create rules for the packet filtering and NAT modules (and so you have a Network layer firewall)

if you want a more simple firewall you can install Firestarter from synaptic or apt-get

pohutukawa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pohutukawa » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Thank you.

I shudder to reflect back on the earlier days of consumer internet access. The concept of using a firewall wasn't much of a reality or practice back then.

felipe1982
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New Installation LinuxMint 2.2--What about firewall?

Post by felipe1982 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:36 am

*new to mint*

I come from suse background, where YAST had a 'firewall' icon to edit the iptables.

Does mint have something like this? Is 'firestarter' it?

Return to “Ethernet”