Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vamsee
Level 1
Level 1

remote xterm not working

Post by vamsee » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:05 am

I have LinuxMint Bianca on a Compaq Evo N800c laptop with Beryl. Looks very nice. Thanks for all the hardwork on this. I have a similar setup (except Beryl) on an older Sony Vaio Laptop. Both laptops have ssh server running.

I 'm unable to startup an xterm on one laptop on display it on the other. I tried a couple of ways. On both machines I unchecked the option that says "Disable TCP Connection to the X Server" in "Administration->Login Window->Security". After that I restarted both.

1. Standard way.
- xhost + on local
- ssh to remote, export DISPLAY=local:0, xterm on remote.

does not work. The xterm does not display on local. Not sure if it freezes local or not (I forgot).

2. A new way I found out recently from googling.
- ssh -X to remote, xterm on remote (no need to set DISPLAY in this case).
After I type xterm on remote it freezes local. ctrl+alt+F* does not work either. I have to switch the machine off and then on.

I ran Cygnus X server on a Windows machine and from there able to ssh to either laptop and bring up X apps on the Windows box (using both approaches above). Based on this I 'm guessing I have to do something else on the X server side on the laptops.

Suggestions welcome.

vamsee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vamsee » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:09 pm

I ran another test today using XDMCP with instructions for Cygwin/X from:

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-session.html

Using those instructions I can connect fine via XDMCP to a Ubuntu 6.10 desktop no problem. However I 'm unable to do the same to a LinuxMint Bianca laptop. In both cases I turned on remote X connections first from the Linux machines and restarted them. When connecting to the Bianca machine a grey screen with wait cursor is shown. When I physcially go the Bianca machine it is frozen. Only way out is power off and on.

Remote xterm too (without XDMCP but via ssh -X as well as export DISPLAY/xhost+) works fine on a non LinuxMint Ubuntu desktop.

vamsee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vamsee » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:08 pm

I tracked this problem to the LinuxMint WLAN driver for the Netgear WG111v2 wireless adapter. I switched to a wired connection and this problem resolved itself.

The problem does not occur on laptops with Linksys WPC54g V2 laptop with the following network controller.
---
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
----

LinuxMint is unable to install the driver automatically for the Linksys WPC54g v2 card. So I bought the driver from http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/. That driver seems to be more stable and I can do remote xterm and xdmcp with it.

Return to “Ethernet”