[SOLVED] File share password prob connecting 2 Mint13 PCs.

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Scott65
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] File share password prob connecting 2 Mint13 PCs.

Post by Scott65 »

Hi.

I've got 32bit Mint 13 and 64bit Mint 13 on 2 Dell laptops connected with crossover cable. Network set up on both, shared folders set up on both.

Here's my main problem ...(and I've searched this board and google and can't find a solution)
I can't access the folders unless it's setup for "allow guest access", if I require a password....yep, you guessed it: Mint won't accept it.
Basically I can't login to the other system... shouldn't it accept my user password??

I'm not running samba (didn't think I needed to) and most of the solutions out there are for that... I've tried to setup ssh-- but don't see why I really need that either, just connecting between two wired pcs...

Can anyone help or at least point me in the right direction??
Thanks.
Last edited by Scott65 on Sun May 05, 2013 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: File share password prob connecting 2 Mint13 PCs.

Post by altair4 »

I have gone through the usual suspects looking for a utility that specifically offers a "allow guest access" and I can't seem to find one.

Despite you saying that you are not using Samba it really sounds like that's exactly what you are using. If you run the following commands and see what you are sharing listed then you are using samba.:

Code: Select all

testparm -s
OR;

net usershare info --long
If that is the case you need to add the user to the samba password database to make this work. Something like this:

sudo smbpasswd -a altair
If you are truly not using samba can you give me the name of the application you are using - or at least the path though the Menu to the app that you are using?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Scott65
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scott65 »

Hi thanks for replying altair

First, I'm new to networking and been using mint and trying to get this to work for over a year--- so any help is greatly appreciated.
The app i'm using is nautilus...(yep)... right click on a folder, --Sharing Options-- Share folder-- check boxes actually it's "Guest Access" to be precise...
Maybe this is totally the wrong way... ???? But if I go to Browse Network (on the left, sidebar, places) I have to work my way in, but finally I can see the folders that are set up for share on the other laptop..
as far as samba-- I thought it wasn't intalled because I never installed it, and if I typed in "samba" in a terminal it says

the program 'samba' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install samba4

but it must be installed, because when I added the user like you said (I ran smbpasswd -a on both laptops) I could access the files on only one of the computers with the new SMB password. Going the other direction it fails to mount now... I need this to work bi-directional...

Also, maybe you can help me get through the firewall? because I have to disable it on both computers in order to connect them...One computer is connected to the Internet-- and I'd like to be able to 'surf the web' from the other computer by using the ethernet crossover cable...lol... is that even possible? Probably not, I'm guessing...
I'd probably have to set one up as a server or a web server something and use a normal ethernet cable... who knows... but ideally eventually i'd like to have it somehow setup that way, but if I can't even get this simple step to work....forget trying to set all that up...

It seems to me that TPTB have made this as complicated and confusing as humanly possible...lol

thank for anyone's help. like I said, I've been at this for OVER A YEAR now (lol) and still can't get it to work! So any help is GREATLY appreciated.
and I've googled etc. etc. and almost everything is connecting between a windows and a linux system.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The app i'm using is nautilus...(yep)... right click on a folder, --Sharing Options-- Share folder-- check boxes actually it's "Guest Access" to be precise... Maybe this is totally the wrong way... ????
There are 2 ways to create a samba share on Mint and you are using the easiest method.
as far as samba-- I thought it wasn't intalled because I never installed it, and if I typed in "samba" in a terminal it says

the program 'samba' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install samba4
Samba is installed by default in Mint. You wouldn't have been able to create the share without it. As far as the samba4 error message that's a bug and if I ruled the world the Debian/Ubuntu developer responsible for it would be fired. Do not install samba4 that will mess everything up.
Also, maybe you can help me get through the firewall? because I have to disable it on both computers in order to connect them.

sudo ufw allow Samba
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Scott65
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scott65 »

It works! Thanks for your help!

A lot of "newbie moves" and problems but finally got it with your help.

Thanks again.

Return to “Ethernet”