Dual Boot Networking Bug?

Post by mandark1967 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:51 pm

Using Bianca on the following platform:

MSI K7D Master (Socket A Dual CPU) with built-in NIC
NetGear GA302T 10/100/1000 Networking built-in
(2) AMD MP2400+
1GB DDR (PC2700)
GeForce 2MX 400 Video
Quantum Fireball HDD (Windows XP SP2 & All patches)
WD 40GB HDD (Linux Mint Bianca with all patches)

Installed Bianca. Applied all patches. Set up Networking with Static IP in Linux Mint. all network settings match their Windows XP counterparts.

Linux Mint IP = same as in Windows
Linux Mint Subnet Mask = same as in Windows
Linux Mint Default Gateway = same as in Windows
Linux Mint DNS Server = same as in Windows

Every Single Time I reboot to Windows after running Linux Mint for any amount of time, I have no connectivity to the Internet.

Nothing works to restore internet connectivity short of uninstalling the Network Card driver in Device Manager in Windows XP, then rebooting back to Windows XP a second time, then re-installing the drivers, and finally resetting all network settings back to what they were previously...

Anyone run into this before?

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:10 pm

if you're using ndiswrapper for your wifi card try : sudo ndiswrapper -m

also, if Network Manager is generating problems, remove it: sudo apt-get remove network-manager*

reboot, then set your network card the usual way (with the network config tool).

Clem

mandark1967
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mandark1967 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:25 pm

clem wrote:if you're using ndiswrapper for your wifi card try : sudo ndiswrapper -m

also, if Network Manager is generating problems, remove it: sudo apt-get remove network-manager*

reboot, then set your network card the usual way (with the network config tool).

Clem
Clem,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not using a Wireless NIC Card, so I dont think it would be related to an ndiswrapper issue. (I'm clueless on wireless since I am loathe to think about my packets just floating through the air)

I'll try removing the Network Manager and then setting the IP and other information manually and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestion.

mandark1967
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mandark1967 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:08 pm

Clem,

Performed all the steps in your post.

Still have to uninstall and reinstall the network card driver in Windows XP everytime I boot to it.

It's almost as if it sets some sort of bit/flag/whatever in the network card's NVRAM or somewhere that requires a complete uninstall/reinstall to clear...

I dunno what's goin on...whatchu think?

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:18 pm

hmm... two things come to my mind:

- it's one of the weirdest things I've heard.
- an ethernet card costs around 7 euros here...

when the NIC doesn't work, can you paste the result of "ifconfig", "route" and "cat /etc/resolv.conf" ?

Clem

mandark1967
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mandark1967 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:56 pm

clem wrote:hmm... two things come to my mind:

- it's one of the weirdest things I've heard.
- an ethernet card costs around 7 euros here...

when the NIC doesn't work, can you paste the result of "ifconfig", "route" and "cat /etc/resolv.conf" ?

Clem
When I get to work tomorrow, I'll boot up in XP and access the internet, then reboot to Mint and access the internet, then back to XP to verify it has lost connectivity, then back to mint to get the information you're asking for.

I agree that a new NIC card is cheap and available, but it's a work machine so I'm not sure if the powers that be will allow me to add parts to it...

(I'm basically reutilizing old parts to build a NESSUS machine to interface with our Harris Stat Analyzer box in order to scan our Networks for IAVAs and security holes)

rex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rex » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:52 pm

Similar problems going both ways (Linux farkles NIC for Windows and Windows farkles NIC for Linux) have been reported a number of times. In all the cases I've seen reported, pulling the power cord for a couple of minutes fixes the problem.

Did you try pulling the power cord? If you did, and the NIC is still inoperable, it strongly suggests that something is being written to the NIC NVRAM, as you speculated.

Here are some threads on similar problems:
http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=31188
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-l ... -help.html
http://www.mepis.org/node/6761
http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=23331

-rex
--
"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical
need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as
some kind of recreational activity." --Dave Barry

Return to “Ethernet”