Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Telnet, Batch Files and Mint

Post by Uncle Bob » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:18 pm

One of the last few obstacles remaining in the way of my complete migration to Linux is as follows: My ISP supplied me with a broadband router, now every time I need to reset my router I configure it the way I want to. I do this by means of Telnet from my Windows machine, as there is hardly anything you can do when accessing it through the web browser.

I have a set of hacks that I enter on my router via telnet to secure it further. This is to stealth it, enable the firewall, shut down all ports apart from those that I need, set up spesific access rules for torrents, blacklist protection NAT configuration and lastly to change the router access password. Using Microsoft Notepad I have compiled all my hacks and saved as a batch file.

Thus every time I need to reset my router, I simply go to Start - Run and type in the name of my batch file and press enter. My router then gets reconfigured and secured the way I want it and life goes on.

The question is: How do I do this, or, very similar operation in Mint (or Linux in general)?

Keep in mind I want to keep it simple, just click-click and bang! Job done. I don't want to use the terminal then copy/paste each of my hacks and spend the whole afternoon doing so. ...I'm lazy; I like to do things the easy way... :wink:
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Hiko96786
Level 1
Level 1

Telent and such

Post by Hiko96786 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:40 pm

Aloha,
In Linux you can use telnet still. Secure Shell or ssh might be more secure. A batch file in Linux is known as a bash script. Use any editor, type in the commands you wish to execute, then change the file permission to executable. Now when you click it, it will run. Please note you may not get any feedback unless you run it from a command prompt so writing the script with feedback is up to you.
Take this little idea for example.....
# Go to my home directory
cd ~
#List all files using -la option
ls -la
Would do nothing more than go to the home directory and list all the files but the idea is the same. As for permissions, using nautilus, right click and selcet properties and then find the executable check mark.
Mahalo,
Edward

Return to “Ethernet”