Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Slow network performance from Linux

Post by Lolo Uila » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:54 pm

Okay, I've got my network up and running. I can see and share files between my Linux Mint system and my Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro boxes.

Problem is that the network is really slow from the Linux side. I have a Gigabit wired network, and the Active Connection Information says it is connected at gigabit speeds, but trying to play a video located on my Windows machine results in choppy playback (buffering every few seconds). Also, trying to copy a large file takes far longer than it should.

Curiously, I don't have that problem when accessing my Mint machine from Windows. I can play videos located on my Linux-Mint box with no problems, and copying large files from Mint to Windows takes seconds instead of minutes.

The computers involved are all P4 2.4GHz or faster:
Linux-Mint: P4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Bianca
Windows 2000: P4 3,2GHz, 2GB RAM, SP4
Windows XP: P4 3.4GHz, 2GB RAM, SP2

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks, Tim

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:19 pm

Hmm, sorry i dont have a direct answer for you. But i know that one day when i was google hunting i found that the /etc/samba/smb.conf file (your share file) also can take some parameters (not there by default) that speeds up transfer. It has to do with buffer sizes, and timings. ... If i remember right, smb is a bit conservative since it dones't autoconfig like windows does when it connects to an old win95 box.

But for your situation, I would suggest getting new patch cables, cause it works fine as it is. ...

May I suggest removing timing from your network, replacing your switch with a crossover cable?... and manually declaring IPs. Then at least you could see if its hardware or software

Code: Select all

Pin     Connector #1	     Connector #2
1       white/orange           white/green
2       orange	                    green
3       white/green             white/orange
4       blue	                       white/brown
5       white/blue                brown
6       green	                     orange
7       white/brown            blue
8       brown	                     white/blue

Return to “Ethernet”