Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ptrbee
Level 1
Level 1

nautilus accessing windows vista shares

Post by ptrbee » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:45 am

Hello, I can't seem to access any vista shares via nautilus no matter what method i use. I can see the machines on the network but whhen i click on them the "authentication required" box pops up telling me i must login to access guest@myvistashare which i can change to myusername@myvistashare but on entering the password and domain( though i'm in a workgroup & not domain) this box goes away & promptly pops up again. If I try to map the comnnection via connect to server i still get i cannot access this server.

I have found a way around iyt though & that is to, create a vistashare folder in /mnt/ and the nount the share like so sudo mount -t cifs -o username=ptrbee //10.0.0.27/f /mnt/vistamountpoint once that has mounted i can either browse via command line or via nautilus. This also works with smb instead of cifs.

Initially I thought this was a samba problem but as i can manually mount the share i'm now convinced it is nautilus.
does anyone know how to fix?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:30 am

I'm not an expert in this matter but you state an IP of 10.0.0.27. Although this is (supposed to be) on a private net, the address range 10.x.x.x also appears on the internet. Although you can use samba over the internet (as well as on a private net) this IP could be a problem - but this is just a guess, based on problems in the past with this address range.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

ptrbee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ptrbee » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:28 pm

Husse wrote:I'm not an expert in this matter but you state an IP of 10.0.0.27. Although this is (supposed to be) on a private net, the address range 10.x.x.x also appears on the internet. Although you can use samba over the internet (as well as on a private net) this IP could be a problem - but this is just a guess, based on problems in the past with this address range.
it's is a private network, & i can access from the command line perfetly, it's just i'm not that good remembering my commands & a click & drag from nautilus orthe ability to map a drive would be much nicer.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:57 pm

ptrbee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ptrbee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks for that,

Still I think the problem is with Nautilus or gnome ( now to think of it) not sure if you missed it but i can connect via samba command line perfectly each time.

It's via nautilus that does not work.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:24 am

I don't have a network at the moment (but several machines behind the same router not connected to each other) so I'm a bit handicapped until I set up a network :)
It's apparently not uncommon that some programs connect and others don't :(
I found this in a Fedora forum that might help you:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archiv ... -1892.html

Return to “Ethernet”