Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
shotttgun
Level 1
Level 1

Ndiswrapper console will not install ms drivers for bcmwl5

Post by shotttgun » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:55 am

I booted the live Mint CD but could not get the built in wireless card drivers installed.
I stopped and booted the live cd for mandriva to see if it was any better. I was trying to get my wireless working on this gateway laptop. I used the ndiswrapper console in mandriva and got the card at least giving some results but didn't get the firefox connected.
So I stopped and switched back to linux mint. The ndiswrapper console in mint will not accept the bcmwl5 driver from the microsoft driver package that the card mnfg supplies.
Is there possibly any other options for this?
I went to a console and logged in as root to try some of the sudo commands but it wont recognize the commands I typed. Wouldn't accept $ ndiswrapper, didn't know what a sudo was or is, Could not get these commands to work under my login or as root.

As you can see I'm a newbie and I don't even know what the $ sign does.

Can someone help me with this card. I like mint so far and think I would like to work with it a while.
Above all I would like to browse the web with the security of linux while I'.m on the road or even at home.
I'm having a fit with the wireless though.
I could not get dam small linux to recognize my last laptop wireless. I read that some wireless cards worked out of the box so I bought one but it did not do so.

some assist sure would be nice.

thanks oh! almost forgot Clem and helpers OUT OF SIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:06 am

You can't expect an imediate response, and sometimes you don't get a response at all - no one knows the answer. And if we don't know - better not answer so that we can see it's unsolved.
The live CD (of any distro except knoppix I presume) works somewhat different than an installed version. If my memory serves me right you are not asked for a password when you use sudo, as you have not set a password yet. You can't log in as root (well, you can but you have to do some tricks to do it) in any Ubuntu based distro, but if you did manage to do that, sudo won't be recognized - you are root!
The $ doesn't do a thing - it's just a "separator" the terminal uses to separate your commands from the position in the file system (not a very good way to put it, but...)
So, if you typed "$ ndiswrapper" you should get an error!
Open a terminal and type just "ndiswrapper" and you'll get some info that might be enough for you to install the driver.
You might need the "devid" of your wifi card. To get that run either lspci or lsusb in a terminal.
If this does not solve your problem post back and paste the output of mintwifi.
//edited for typos//
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

shotttgun
Level 1
Level 1

got the wifi working

Post by shotttgun » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks, wifi is working. Lots of hurdles to clear but I'm on my way.

gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

KDE

Post by gramnemo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:38 am

Who knows this command sudo./ndiswrapper_setup In KDE ? In GNOME it works! And in KDE the command speaks is not found?

Return to “Ethernet”