intel i219-v drivers

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
destructa

intel i219-v drivers

Post by destructa »

I have just installed linux Mint Cinnamon onto a I7 PC.

The motherboard is a Asrock Z170 Pro 4

Mint installed OK (dual boot with Windows 10) but I can't get internet to work.

The onboard NIC is a Intel I219V

I am new to Linux so please make ant instructions easy to follow.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by SMG on Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking old topic to prevent people from reviving old solutions. We prefer people seek a current solution because software and drivers change over time.
rkfb

Re: intel i219-v drivers

Post by rkfb »

I would plug in a wiired connection or something first and run all updates, there may be something there that adds support for this NIC.

There is a driver here that may work:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... for-Linux-

I can help with installation if need be.

As it's a dual boot I have also seen mention of an issue with WOL here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=191981

but that was with Windows 7. Still if all else fails may be worth a go.
willix

Post by willix »

I have 'mostly' the same issue (i.e. getting my Ethernet card to work correctly)

I've got a i219-v intel ethernet adaptor. Wifi works fine but I can use the cable.
eth0 does not show up in ifconfig

Tried to update the kernel to 3-19-0.33 and 4.2.0-18. The latter seemed to work (booted ok and eth0 was present and working). However I couldn't reboot the computer; it went to a black screen with a whole lot of logs being listed. When I turned the computer off and on and rebooted, I noticed my /var/log directory was filling up my partition (kern.log and syslog) with these kind of messages:

Nov 19 11:10:42 frodo kernel: [ 258.024853] pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, id=00e0(Receiver ID)
Nov 19 11:10:42 frodo kernel: [ 258.024855] pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: device [8086:a110] error status/mask=00000001/00002000
Nov 19 11:10:42 frodo kernel: [ 258.024857] pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: [ 0] Receiver Error
Nov 19 11:10:42 frodo kernel: [ 258.024864] pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: AER: Corrected error received: id=00e0
Nov 19 11:10:42 frodo kernel: [ 258.024869] pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: can't find device of ID00e0

The 3-19-0.33 kernel produced the same kind of logs but at boot time! So I couldn't get INTO the system at all (the 4.x kernel let me in but I couldn't get out :? ).

Still looking into it but although I've been using linux for quite some time now, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes down to hardware and drivers :(
willix

Post by willix »

OK I've managed to get my I219-v network card to work

I more or less mixed the steps outlined at http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-032514.htm and http://aslab.com/support/kb/231.html

Namely:
0) Download the driver from the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... on-I218-LM to a usb drive (yes it's a i218 'cause no i219)
1) did a fresh install without network
2) reboot and copy the driver to my home directory
3) execute following commands
> tar zxf e1000e-<x.x.x>.tar.gz
> cd e1000e-<x.x.x>/src/
> make install
the binary will be installed as: /lib/modules/<KERNEL VERSION>/kernel/drivers/net/e1000e/e1000e.[k]o

4) run command
> modprobe e1000e insmod e1000e

and that enabled my eth0

Hope this helps...
destructa

Post by destructa »

Thanks for all your help.

1st ever linux problem fixed!

Now to sort the sound out.....
kcohenta

Post by kcohenta »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to tell you that I had a similar problem and @willix's answer sorted it out. Posting here if anyone with the same hardware as me has this problem.

Fresh install of Linux Mint 17.2 on a Dell Latitude E7470 laptop from a USB key, no drivers detected, not network card detected, nm-tool's state disactivated, etc.

Now my network works just fine, so thank you!
OldYogi

SOLVED: Re: intel i219-v drivers

Post by OldYogi »

The procedure suggested above might work for me if I were willing to do a clean install.
My old MB died, so I built a new machine with a new MB, and installed all my old drives, expecting to run everything as before The new MB, an Asus z170 Pro Gaming, uses the Intel I219V Ethernet controller.
I'm running Linux Mint 17.1 with all recommended software updates. It is a dual-boot system with Windows 7. Linux runs, but without finding an Ethernet controller. Windows starts to boot but can't even complete and won't run. I've not tried wifi, but I would expect no problem there.

The hardware is fine -- I can access my Ethernet connection with various new distros I run off of a usb. I'm writing this in Porteus running on the PC and booted from usb.
As noted in the posts, the appropriate driver from Intel is e1000e. That driver is loaded in the LinuxMint kernel (3.13.0-37-generic). But that version of the driver dates from 2014. Porteus, and Bunsen Labs, booted from usb, run more recent versions of that driver.
I have tried to replace the kernel version of e1000e with one of the newer versions, but they won't insert into the kernel. A problem, I believe with module.symvers.

My last option, I think, is to install a more recent kernel. What more recent kernel can I run in Linux Mint 17.1?
The kernel finds the appropriate driver in /lib/modules/3.13.0-37-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e. So presumably a newer version of the driver would be part of the package. If the newer kernel didn't work I could try inserting the most recent driver (downloaded from Intel) into the new kernel, but I suspect it too would be rejected.

Suggestions will be appreciated -- and then if I get this taken care of I can move on to Windows, which I think is failing for the same reason.

---------------------------
THE EASY SOLUTION
Getting a newer kernel solved it immediately. I borrowed my wife's wifi adapter, Mint had no trouble using it, and I upgraded from 17.1 to 17.3 (Rosa), and upgraded the kernel from 3.13 to 3.19 -- and immediately the ethernet reconnected. Now I wonder why it too me so long to get to that solution.
John E Pombrio

Post by John E Pombrio »

I simply cannot get this to work! I have an ASUS Strix Z270E mobo and no matter what I do with e1000e-3.3.5.3, it will not work. I keep having the Ethernet show as:
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1f.6
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.6
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:df100000-df11ffff

First I disable the Wireless service. I have removed the e1000e from the Intel folder, it gets built with the make install and has the .ko file in it. the modprobe does not seem to do anything and it just goes immediately back to the prompt. there are TWO identical computers with exactly the same problem! Obviously, the LAN works on Win10 and the Wireless works on both as well but until I can get the LAN to work, my son at Brown cannot work on his thesis with just wireless so he is back to Ivy Bridge instead of the new Kaby Lake computer I built for him. Any and all help would be appreciated!
John E Pombrio

Post by John E Pombrio »

I "solved" my LAN connection problem by simply buying a Intel PCI-E LAN card from Amazon for my ASUS Strix Z270 Kaby Lake mobo. I turned off the Intel LAN port in the BIOS and made a change to USB 3.1 front header to PCI 2-4 in the BIOS (the message came up while booting into the BIOS). The card runs at full GB LAN speeds. Easy $25 solution rather than trying to replace the missing Intel drivers from the latest LM builds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “Networking”