How to share files between Mint 17.2 and Win-7 machine?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
klrman

How to share files between Mint 17.2 and Win-7 machine?

Post by klrman »

I was wanting to know what cable to use to connect my Win-7 machine to my Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon machine so
that I can share files between the two. Is there a really simple way to make this work? What software would I need
to use to make this work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MichaelJohn

Re: How to share files between Mint 17.2 and Win-7 machine?

Post by MichaelJohn »

I have used Samba networking via a generic router in the past. Currently I share between two Mint machines and a Windows 7 (on my double desk) one using an external hard drive. The drive can only be connected to one machine at a time but serves my purposes well...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi klrman,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

1.) My favorite software application for this is called NitroShare for Linux, Ms windows, & Mac,

NitroShare is a tool that can be used to easily transfer files between computers on your local network, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
http://www.webupd8.org/2015/03/nitrosha ... es-to.html

NitroShare Downloads: For Linux, download the easy install ".deb" file (32 or 64 bit), and double click the file you downloaded, or use the PPA below.
https://nitroshare.net/downloads/

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:george-edison55/nitroshare
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nitroshare

2.) If they are on the same router, set up Samba sharing; as was already mentioned.

3.) Dukto LAN File Transfer Tool Is Easy To Use, Multi-Platform including Android, Mac, Ms Windows, Linux.
Dukto R6 is an open source, multi-platform LAN file transfer tool, useful to transfer files form one computer to another without having to worry about configurations, operating systems, clients, servers and so on.

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/dukto-la ... sy-to.html

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
klrman

Post by klrman »

MichaelJohn wrote:I have used Samba networking via a generic router in the past. Currently I share between two Mint machines and a Windows 7 (on my double desk) one using an external hard drive. The drive can only be connected to one machine at a time but serves my purposes well...
Thanks MichealJohn, I will look into that and see if I can make it work!
klrman

Post by klrman »

Hi phd21,

Again, thanks for the detailed info, very helpful!!! Will study it all and see if I can get it working. I am getting tired to constantly inserting a usb stick from
one machine to another and decided I need to get a mini network going :D
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

I often just use Google Drive. Upload the file on one computer and download it on the other.
j03k3rr

Post by j03k3rr »

Here's a link from a website that quickly became my bible in terms of beginning linux,
It's showing how to setup Samba
http://linuxhomeserverguide.com/server-config/Samba.php
If you follow this one and fail let me know.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

I use a NAS (network attached storage disk) and the network browser Gigolo:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... /reserve-6

Very easy, very reliable. I highly recommend it. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
klrman

Post by klrman »

Thanks all, so many ways of doing it, that is good news :D
zman58

Post by zman58 »

All of the answers so far on this thread are horrible. Dont follow any of them.
Nemo, the default file browser already has a smb connector and file share facility built into it.
You use nemo for desktop sharing of folders and connecting to Windows shares on the network.
Below is a link to this subject on my website. It takes seconds to set up in Linux Mint.

http://runlevel-6.github.io/blog/2015/0 ... with-nemo/
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

zman58 wrote:All of the answers so far on this thread are horrible. Dont follow any of them.
Care to explain what's so "horrible" about Gigolo?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

I was wanting to know what cable to use to connect my Win-7 machine to my Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon machine
Hi, klrman

From the way you asked your question it sounds like you do not have a lot of networking experience. That's not a criticism - we were all there once!! The answer, as you can tell from the replies, is actually many answers. There are a lot of different ways to make data on one machine available to another machine.

I believe the more "professional" way to do it is to network your computers (using a router), then share files/folders/partitions to the network so that all computers on that network will have access - without having to use the Internet or flash-drives or CD's, etc. But, going that route also means you have to have some rudimentary understanding of security so your different computers can talk to each other without letting unauthorized users get to your data. If you are not at that level (don't really understand networking and sharing) then you are probably better off with one of the "higher-level" solutions.

I think it's up to you to decide how much time, effort, learning, etc. you want to invest here. The folks who understand how to solve your problem want to give you the very best solution THAT WORKS FOR YOU - without recommending things that are either way over your head or far below your level of understanding. Whichever way you choose, the folks here will help you get there.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
zman58

Post by zman58 »

Pjotr wrote:
zman58 wrote:All of the answers so far on this thread are horrible. Dont follow any of them.
Care to explain what's so "horrible" about Gigolo?
Perhaps I was a bit overstated. I don't have any experience with Gigolo. Gigolo could probably be used, but it needs to first be installed. No harm intended.

I have used Nemo successfully on many occasions and find it very reliable and easy to setup SMB style shares on. Point and click as part of the default file browser--very convenient.
Using Nemo is ready to go without installing anything.
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colossus75 »

Hello,

I am having a similar issue file sharing/media streaming over a home network for myself and a friend I am helping do the same.

I'm trying to access a Windows 7 Pro machine across the home network from a Mint 17.2/17.3 64bit machine.

Both machines have static IP via the router. I can access my Mint 17.2/17.3 machine from Windows 7 Pro, but when I go the other way around and go from Mint to Windows 7 Pro I hit a wall. The issue I am having for both myself and my friend's place, is that when I try to log into the Windows 7 Pro machine from Mint using Nemo/Nautilus it doesn't accept the Password for the Admin user on the Windows 7 Pro machine. I've disabled the firewalls as well on the Windows 7 Pro rig to test, still can't get through. I can see the Windows 7 Pro rig via Nemo but I can't seem to get through from the Login window to get to the Windows 7 Pro rig.

Under Windows 7 Pro Network Management all the toggles are on except for the Password protected sharing, which is off.

Been fighting with this on and off since Mint 17.1, and am now on Mint 17.3..Windows XP I had no issues going back and forth between the OS's for file sharing/streaming.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Kllisre x79 v2.82a
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
16 GB Kllisre DDR3-1333 MHz ECC
500GB Samsung Evo 860 2.5" SATA SSD [OS]
2TB (main data drive EXT4)
2TB (backup data drive EXT4)
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

@colossus75

You might want to verify that both/all your machines are in the same workgroup. Then look at the W-7 network/sharing setting for HomeGroup connections (last paragraph in advanced sharing). I always check the "Use user accounts..." instead of "Allow Windows to manage...". (not sure that matters, but my sharing works perfectly).

Also, for the long-term you will need to modify some Windows-Firewall rules. So, for testing your connectivity, continue to turn your Windows Firewall(s) OFF until you get the machines talking correctly. (When I do this sort of work I disconnect my router from the internet so none of my machines are exposed while my firewalls are down)
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colossus75 »

Hi tovian,

thanks for the feedback. I shall give this a try and update this post on results :)
tovian wrote:@colossus75

You might want to verify that both/all your machines are in the same workgroup. Then look at the W-7 network/sharing setting for HomeGroup connections (last paragraph in advanced sharing). I always check the "Use user accounts..." instead of "Allow Windows to manage...". (not sure that matters, but my sharing works perfectly).

Also, for the long-term you will need to modify some Windows-Firewall rules. So, for testing your connectivity, continue to turn your Windows Firewall(s) OFF until you get the machines talking correctly. (When I do this sort of work I disconnect my router from the internet so none of my machines are exposed while my firewalls are down)
Kllisre x79 v2.82a
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
16 GB Kllisre DDR3-1333 MHz ECC
500GB Samsung Evo 860 2.5" SATA SSD [OS]
2TB (main data drive EXT4)
2TB (backup data drive EXT4)
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

tovian wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:30 am I always check the "Use user accounts..." instead of "Allow Windows to manage...". (not sure that matters, but my sharing works perfectly).
I can't speak for a Linux/Windows network; but, on a Windows/Windows network, that choice makes all the difference in whether a network is rock-solid problem free or something that only works every third Tuesday.

Another feature that is more of a hindrance to a functioning network than an asset is the "Homegroup"; for a solid network, it is best to disable and abandon all Homegroups.

A home network set up properly works best with no Homegroup.

Return to “Networking”