wired network works in one reboot.. than after the other reboot it dont... and so on

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
saeed
Level 1
Level 1

wired network works in one reboot.. than after the other reboot it dont... and so on

Post by saeed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:05 am

first im new to Linux so please per with me... i just installed my first Linux Mint 18 in my Toshiba laptop...

now after installations and first i logged into the system.. i found that the system its not recognizing my wired network adapter at all (wireless is working fine)...

so i did restart and logged again now the wired adapter is working fine

i did another restart, the problem is back and again the system its not recognizing my wired network adapter at all.

than i did a 3rd reboot and the wired adapter is working fine

means one reboot it works, the other reboot it dont... and so on

the wired network adapter only will be recognized by the system every-other reboot (thats strange right)

any solution for that or im missing something.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: wired network works in one reboot.. than after the other reboot it dont... and so on

Post by amethyst_igor » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:52 am

saeed wrote:first im new to Linux so please per with me... i just installed my first Linux Mint 18 in my Toshiba laptop...

now after installations and first i logged into the system.. i found that the system its not recognizing my wired network adapter at all (wireless is working fine)...

i did another restart, the problem is back and again the system its not recognizing my wired network adapter at all.

the wired network adapter only will be recognized by the system every-other reboot (thats strange right)

DHCP is a lottery. Each time you boot, your computer requests an IP address from the router. If you are lucky, it is available and your Toshiba gets on the network. If you are unlucky, then the IP address your Toshiba wants is being used by another device on your network, and your Toshiba and that device are fighting over it.

The solution is to run angryip or another network scanner and map out which IP addresses are being used by which devices. Disable DHCP and assign a static IP to your Toshiba so it will always use that one and no other. Assign a static IP to all other devices on your network. There is no real need to use DHCP in a home environment except for guests that come visit you. Since you are a permanent resident of your home, you should give yourself static IP's for each device you use. You should become aware of which devices are on your network, because that will also protect you against intruders.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

saeed
Level 1
Level 1

Re: wired network works in one reboot.. than after the other reboot it dont... and so on

Post by saeed » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:07 am

amethyst_igor wrote:
saeed wrote:first im new to Linux so please per with me... i just installed my first Linux Mint 18 in my Toshiba laptop...

DHCP is a lottery. Each time you boot, your computer requests an IP address from the router. If you are lucky, it is available and your Toshiba gets on the network. If you are unlucky, then the IP address your Toshiba wants is being used by another device on your network, and your Toshiba and that device are fighting over it.

The solution is to run angryip or another network scanner and map out which IP addresses are being used by which devices. Disable DHCP and assign a static IP to your Toshiba so it will always use that one and no other. Assign a static IP to all other devices on your network. There is no real need to use DHCP in a home environment except for guests that come visit you. Since you are a permanent resident of your home, you should give yourself static IP's for each device you use. You should become aware of which devices are on your network, because that will also protect you against intruders.

thanks for the replay.. the problem its not getting an IP eventhogh im using static one ...

the problem is the adapter it disappears from the system.. it becomes like there is no network adapter at all... or the system wont load the driver for the adapter.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:28 pm

saeed wrote:
amethyst_igor wrote:

thanks for the replay.. the problem its not getting an IP eventhogh im using static one ...

the problem is the adapter it disappears from the system.. it becomes like there is no network adapter at all... or the system wont load the driver for the adapter.
I research before I buy a system, so I have never/will never encounter this problem. But you might want to research whether your adapter is even supported in Linux. I suggest Google for a start.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Return to “Ethernet”