Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Capt Turk
Level 3
Level 3

wireless internet shared to ethernet......SOLVED

Post by Capt Turk »

Can I? ,,and how to,,,, share the wireless Internet connection on one Mint 17.3 laptop to another Mint 17.3 laptop via Ethernet cable? Have to use an external usb adapter on a pole outside to get enough signal to connect. Wife wants to be on line, too, at the same time. How do I make the wife happy and not give up being on line too?
Last edited by Capt Turk on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: wireless internet shared to ethernet

Post by trapperjohn »

I have done this is two ways.

First, was to buy/create a wireless access point device. One possibility is the Trendnet TEW-638APB. It makes the connection to the wireless and it has Ethernet ports for wired connections. Alternatively find an old wireless router and make it an access point... approach/feasibility varies depending upon the router. The dump is a great place to find these things and the wife will be impressed with your resourcefulness.

The other way is to become a router yourself but it's a bit messy, requires some hacking, and has some performance disadvantages.
II-Trax-II
Level 2
Level 2

Post by II-Trax-II »

Can I? ,,and how to,,,, share the wireless Internet connection on one Mint 17.3 laptop to another Mint 17.3 laptop via Ethernet cable?
There are outlet connectors (signal travels through the wires) - While I wouldn't go that route it's sure better than the alternative (a bridge).

Best Buy has an ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless-N adapter and Linux loves it (it's a realtek that Asus rebranded) Linux/Mint loads the Realtek drivers and it can be used as an AP so you can send WiFi to your better half, it works very well under Mint (all versions) not so well under Windows, and it's very cheap, the down side is it's installed in a PCIeX1_1 slot (that small slot normally next to your video card).

Edit: while your looking for a Ethernet connection, a bridge (router to router) of some sort will be required. and while my Asus AC66U is able, it's not willing. it's a matter of it requiring an Ethernet input > wireless and I'm wireless.
DrScum
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DrScum »

Capt Turk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Capt Turk »

The Ubuntu link solved the problem. It was stupid easy to fix from the article. Thanks.......SOLVED

Return to “Ethernet”