<Resolved> Internet Disconnects Every Hour or So; Requires Modem Reboot

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
INeedABetterUserName
Level 1
Level 1

<Resolved> Internet Disconnects Every Hour or So; Requires Modem Reboot

Post by INeedABetterUserName »

Hello. I recently installed an Intel I201-T1 Ethernet Adapter. I am able to connect to the internet but every hour or so of use (a rough estimate) of regular use, I lose my connection to the internet. Re-booting the modem fixes the issue, until the next re-occurrence. I have not seen this occur when using Windows 7, on the same machine. What should I look into to resolve this issue?

Troubleshooting Info:
This issue did not occur prior to installing this ethernet card. Prior to this card being installed, I had a router hooked up but right now my PC is connected directly to the modem with cat 6 cables. The internet speeds between Windows and Linux are the same. The ethernet card functioned without installing additional drivers, in Linux, but the above mentioned issue was present. Installing Intel's drivers for the card did not resolve the issue.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Internet Disconnects Every Hour or So; Requires Router Reboot

Post by AscLinux »

Get a new router?
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
INeedABetterUserName
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Internet Disconnects Every Hour or So; Requires Router Reboot

AscLinux wrote:Get a new router?
It's hooked directly to the modem right now. I mistypted, I'll correct that. Anyways the issue has not occured in Windows or with the temporary ethernet card I was using, so hardware replacement doesn't seem appropiate yet.
Last edited by INeedABetterUserName on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Internet Disconnects Every Hour or So; Requires Modem Reboot

Post by Fred Barclay »

I wonder if you need to use a different kernel version?

What kernel are you using now? To check, open a terminal and type the following commands

Code: Select all

uname -r
uname -a
Cheers!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
INeedABetterUserName
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Internet Disconnects Every Hour or So; Requires Modem Reboot

Thanks for replying and giving the terminal commands! Here's the results:

uname -r
4.4.0-21-generic
uname -a
Linux LinuxMint18 4.4.0-21-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 18 18:33:37 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I haven't updated the kernel, I can try that out.

<Update: It's been a few days with the newer kernel and I haven't had any more disconnects. This topic will be marked as solved. Thanks!>

Return to “Networking”