No internet connection after installation of Mint 17.3 SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrNoob82

Re: No internet connection after installation of Mint 17.3

Post by MrNoob82 »

JeremyB wrote:You may want to try http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/u ... -1_all.deb to see if ethernet will work
Tried that, the ethenet is still dead, thankfully the wi-fi is still going strong. Also following the kernal upgrade, my display is very glitchy :(
Hard to explain but something is wrong. Getting odd black/multicoloured mosaic-ing but only when the mouse is moving, and even then not all the time.
The graphics board is an Intel HD Video 520 integrated board, shows in Linux as Intel Corporation Sky Lake Graphics
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

You might want to try a LM18 ISO as it should have better Sky Lake support

It might have seemed to work better with the 3.19 kernel but those errors in dmesg were not normal and may have been the reason the backports didn't work as expected
MrNoob82

Post by MrNoob82 »

JeremyB wrote:You might want to try a LM18 ISO as it should have better Sky Lake support

It might have seemed to work better with the 3.19 kernel but those errors in dmesg were not normal and may have been the reason the backports didn't work as expected
I'll give it a go. Would you recommend just burning an LM18 iso and using that install disc to wipe the hard drive and install, or use gparted 1st to clear it then install?

Also, would you recommend 18 or 18.1?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I would just give it a try and not install, LM18.1 might be the better one to test as I don't think LM18 had the updated linux-firmware package to support that wifi card
MrNoob82

Post by MrNoob82 »

JeremyB wrote:I would just give it a try and not install, LM18.1 might be the better one to test as I don't think LM18 had the updated linux-firmware package to support that wifi card
OK, I'll play about with an iso and see what happens.
Thank you for your patience, time and effort. It is greatly appreciated!

When Mint works, it is a fantastic OS, just a shame this PC seems to be hard-coded to Windows and all the nightmares that it has become.
MrNoob82

Post by MrNoob82 »

JeremyB wrote:I would just give it a try and not install, LM18.1 might be the better one to test as I don't think LM18 had the updated linux-firmware package to support that wifi card
Tried booting the LM18 and 18.1 iso discs, neither would load past the automatic boot screen. Screen went black and nothing else happened. Think I'll have to stick with 17.3 for the time being (not a bad thing)
On a related note, my hard wired connection appears to have randomly come back to life.

I'll have a crack at reverting to the kernel that worked with the graphics and keep plugging away. It feels like im 98% there now.

Hopefully after the reversion to the original kernel, the network drivers are in place as they are and the graphics work as they should.
MrNoob82

Post by MrNoob82 »

MAJOR update.

It appears that the BIOS on the laptop was the issue. 2 BIOS updates, 3 BIOS passwords and a lot of saving changes and rebooting later, and I have managed to get LM 18.1 installed, showing the GRUB at boot and generally working correctly.

No graphics glitches, Wi-Fi and Ethernet working 1st time, and have mirrored the laptop screen through my HDMI-out to my flatscreen.

The bluetooth works as well.

It would also appear that using the 3rd party drivers may or may not have had a hand in things. But honestly, I don't care. My preferred OS is finally up and running....although I have had to dual-boot with Uncle Bill to get it to behave.

Return to “Networking”