(Solved) Mint 18 KDE -- No Ethernet on Resume (Restart always required)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IMH

(Solved) Mint 18 KDE -- No Ethernet on Resume (Restart always required)

Post by IMH »

Hi All,

Just installed Mint 18 KDE 64-bit yesterday and am learning to love it like most of the others I've tried over the years.

My ethernet card won't resume/reconnect after suspending the machine. A restart always fixes the issue, but I'm looking for a way to fix the issue, as I suspend/resume a lot.

I'm running a 3 year old desktop with all the goodies. Never had an issue with any version of Mint KDE (or any others) on this PC.

There are no current fixes I can see online for this new OS. I've tried deleting the wired connection in network management, then creating a new one. This doesn't work either.

The issue also occurs when using either onboard or external card. Yet, hibernation doesn't cause the same problem.

Using the command "systemctl restart NetworkManager.service" doesn't work either. Network manager shuts down and restarts, but will not connect. The manager just keeps cycling and eventually comes back saying it cannot connect.
Any ideas? I included my lshw below, wish I knew better what outputs might help best to direct the right people to the heart of my issue.

Not sure where to go. I've seen talk of creating scripts to reset the manager using etc files and such, but the Konsole doesn't even recognize the commands suggested and I don't want to bugger around with things I know nothing about.

As suggested, here's the output of inxi -Fxz:

Host: nuts Kernel: 4.4.0-63-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.5 (Qt 5.6.1)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine: System: Gigabyte product: N/A
Mobo: Gigabyte model: F2A78M-D3H v: x.x Bios: American Megatrends v: FA date: 09/03/2014
CPU: Quad core AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 24757
clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 1400 MHz 4: 1900 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 630] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 2560x1440@59.95hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 367.57 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-63-generic
Network: Card: VIA VT86C100A [Rhine] driver: via-rhine port: d000 bus-ID: 02:06.0
IF: enp2s6 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2120.4GB (0.9% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD20EZRX size: 2000.4GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 102G used: 11G (11%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.53GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb3
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 14.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:41C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 205 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 1000.6/7926.9MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35
nuts@nuts ~ $
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Mint 18 KDE -- No Ethernet on Resume (Restart always required)

Post by gtsfer »

Hello,

Suggestion: That's way too much information, especially for a new post. I fell asleep and my head hit the keyboard less than 1/2 way through. Now my forehead has QWERTY stamped on it. :(

I'd edit the first post and replace all that stuff with the output of ...

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
IMH

Post by IMH »

gtsfer wrote:Hello,

Suggestion: That's way too much information, especially for a new post. I fell asleep and my head hit the keyboard less than 1/2 way through. Now my forehead has QWERTY stamped on it. :(

I'd edit the first post and replace all that stuff with the output of ...

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Thanks for the input. I've edited the post as suggested. :D
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

IMH wrote:... Using the command "systemctl restart NetworkManager.service" doesn't work either. Network manager shuts down and restarts, but will not connect. The manager just keeps cycling and eventually comes back saying it cannot connect.
Any ideas? I included my lshw below, wish I knew better what outputs might help best to direct the right people to the heart of my issue.

As suggested, here's the output of inxi -Fxz:
Network: Card: VIA VT86C100A [Rhine] driver: via-rhine port: d000 bus-ID: 02:06.0
On the "Network" portion of your inxi output the "state:unknown speed: 100Mbps" doesn't look right for a cabled (aka Ethernet) connection at all. It appears a driver is loaded but that doesn't necessarily mean it's OK. Could possibly need a better driver here but not that's certain to me just yet. Both the "state" and "speed" on that network card look wrong.

I'm curious, up above, did you run "inxi" before or after the suspend/no connection on resume issue rears it's ugly head? It shouldn't make any difference but I'm wondering how your connection actually works before resume/suspend with what's showing. Does your connection seem fast and responsive or is it laggy?

You might try a right-click on your network icon and look at "configure network connections" fwiw. Edit the connection and see if "Automatically connect..." and "All Users May Connect..." for starters.

I'll have to do a little research on that card and driver.
IMH

Post by IMH »

gtsfer wrote:
IMH wrote: On the "Network" portion of your inxi output the "state:unknown speed: 100Mbps" doesn't look right for a cabled (aka Ethernet) connection at all. It appears a driver is loaded but that doesn't necessarily mean it's OK. Could possibly need a better driver here but not that's certain to me just yet. Both the "state" and "speed" on that network card look wrong.

I'm curious, up above, did you run "inxi" before or after the suspend/no connection on resume issue rears it's ugly head? It shouldn't make any difference but I'm wondering how your connection actually works before resume/suspend with what's showing. Does your connection seem fast and responsive or is it laggy?

You might try a right-click on your network icon and look at "configure network connections" fwiw. Edit the connection and see if "Automatically connect..." and "All Users May Connect..." for starters.

I'll have to do a little research on that card and driver.
Hi gtsfer, and thanks so much for looking into this for me. :D

I have checked and turned the various options on/off in network connections, including those you suggested and a new one I haven't seen before in KDE which is "Autonegotiate" in the "Wired" menu of the card's settings. No avail, unfortunately.

Now to the inxi outputs. The first test was run after a full reboot, when the connection was working. My speed tests are always over 60mbps down, 20+ up and the card/connection has never faltered after a full reboot (I work online 10+ hours a day). Streaming, downloading, browsing are flawlessly fast and stable.

I've went ahead and posted before and after (suspend) outputs for the "inxi" commands using both external and onboard cards. The speed on the onboard is showing 10x what the external is. However, there's no noticeable speed difference browsing-wise.Sadly, the suspend issue with my connection doesn't improve when switching cards. As you noted, there doesn't appear to be any difference in the output whether the card is connecting to the internet or not.

Hope this isn't too much info, just want to make sure that the card/driver doesn't get the blame if that's not the issue:

External card (PCI Express)

Before suspend:

Card: VIA VT86C100A [Rhine] driver: via-rhine port: d000 bus-ID: 02:06.0

After suspend:

Card: VIA VT86C100A [Rhine] driver: via-rhine port: d000 bus-ID: 02:06.0

Onboard card

Before suspend:

Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Card-2: VIA VT86C100A [Rhine] driver: via-rhine port: c000 bus-ID: 03:06.0
IF: enp3s6 state: down mac: <filter>

After suspend:

Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
IF: enp3s6 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

So you have 2 cards, which card are you using (which is connected with your ethernet cable)? And is there any purpose for having 2 LAN cards? One is internal (the built-in is the Realtek?). The second one, probably an add-in card looks funky AFTER suspend. A 100 Mbps connection with a cable is lousy for one thing. So the system gets confused, maybe because of a power management setting on the card itself.
IMH wrote:Before suspend:

After suspend:

How difficult would it be to take that adapter card OUT and try your system again? I don't know how comfortable you are with hardware. OR you could try disabling the built-in network device in BIOS which is much simpler. If you do, don't forget to move the network cable to that one. 8)
IMH

Post by IMH »

gtsfer wrote:So you have 2 cards, which card are you using (which is connected with your ethernet cable)? And is there any purpose for having 2 LAN cards? One is internal (the built-in is the Realtek?). The second one, probably an add-in card looks funky AFTER suspend. A 100 Mbps connection with a cable is lousy for one thing. So the system gets confused, maybe because of a power management setting on the card itself.
IMH wrote:Before suspend:

After suspend:

How difficult would it be to take that adapter card OUT and try your system again? I don't know how comfortable you are with hardware. OR you could try disabling the built-in network device in BIOS which is much simpler. If you do, don't forget to move the network cable to that one. 8)
Hey gtsfer,

I'm really comfortable with hardware. The PC is a personal build of mine. I'm just not that great with in-depth software stuff.

Because of you noting the speed outputs of the external Dlink card, I am now only using the built-in (Realtek) card. I did have it disabled in the bios prior, but now it's the only one in use.

The problem still persists even after the change -- no connection after resuming from suspend. The inxi outputs above for the internal card are after taking out the old Dlink external card, which I was using to lower overall stress on the cpu and keep heat/stress down on the board itself (whether that makes a difference with modern builds or not, I'm not entirely sure anymore).

I'm wondering if a solution like this one could work for me: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2004690) The only problem for me is I wouldn't know how to implement it using Kate and whatever file system differences might exist between ubuntu and KDE distros -- I get rather sore in the brain trying to figure out these kind of things without a cut/paste solution.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

IMH wrote:I'm really comfortable with hardware. The PC is a personal build of mine. I'm just not that great with in-depth software stuff.
I built my own system too. 8)
IMH wrote:I'm wondering if a solution like this one could work for me: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2004690) The only problem for me is I wouldn't know how to implement it using Kate and whatever file system differences might exist between ubuntu and KDE distros -- I get rather sore in the brain trying to figure out these kind of things without a cut/paste solution.
This may work, it's definitely a power/suspend problem. In fact I saw a couple of threads on LM Forums recently that addressed the same thing on other hardware. How they fixed the issue I'm not sure, but YES you can try this. (this was an old post from 2012, but give it a shot)

I'm running KDE 18.1 too. The directory /etc/pm/config.d exists in KDE and mine is empty.

The easy way in KDE.... Open Dolphin, go to /etc/pm. Now right-click on the config.d folder and go Actions->Open As Root. You can now create/edit whatever you want in there with full permissions.

If it doesn't work, np, just delete it and we'll look for those power management solutions I glanced at the other day before I got sucked into this mess. Joke... :lol:
IMH

Post by IMH »

The fix worked! At least so far anyway. Thanks a bunch for your help gtsfer. :D
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

:D 8) You are welcome. If you get a chance (once you're convinced it's OK) please edit first post and add <SOLVED> in the subject.
It may be a common problem on 18.1 with certain hardware.

Return to “Networking”