how to add network printer / scanner ??????

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xtal_01
Level 3
Level 3

how to add network printer / scanner ??????

Post by xtal_01 »

Aafter a lot of help and suggestions from you guys, I have my windows 10, windows 7 and Linux Cinnamon 18.1 all talking to each other!!!!!!!!!!!

Not perfect but definitely workable.

Now, new problem.

I have a brother all in one printer/scanner on set up as a network printer.

I was able to load the drivers and send a print from linux to the printer ... got a test page out.

Two problems ...

1) When I select scan to a file on the printer (it has an LCD screen) then it shows all the computers on the network for me to send the file to. The linux computer does not show up. How do I get it to show up? It has an IP address. Is there somewhere in the linux box I can enter the printer IP so that the printer will recognize it?

2) I have not yet loaded a scanner driver. How or more correctly where do I do this? There does not seem to be a driver to my exact unit but I am one of the brother drivers will work.

The printer/scanner I have is a Brother MFC-J6935DW

Thanks so much ..... Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
1-Earth-Inhabitant
Level 1
Level 1

Re: how to add network printer / scanner ??????

Post by 1-Earth-Inhabitant »

I had a similar problem with my HP All-In-One printer. My solution was to install a driver in Linux that could access network scanners. The problem was I then had to initiate the scan from the Linux machine not from the printer. That was acceptable to me, even though my printer was in the basement, and I had to load it first then walk upstairs to the Linux machine to start the scan. I think the problem is that your printer doesn't have the necessary firmware stub prg to access the EXT-4 partitions, (SAMBA). Of course I could be wrong. ;-)

Good Luck!
'I only know, that I know nothing' --Socrates--
A good place to start, devoid of falsehoods.

MB ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming,
CPU Core i7-12700K
RAM CMK32GX4M2D3600C18
VC Phoenix GeForce RTX 3060 V2

Return to “Networking”