Recent update of LM18 broke my internet.

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
massasauga
Level 1
Level 1

Recent update of LM18 broke my internet.

Post by massasauga » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:38 am

I am running Linux Mint Mate (Sarah) edition.
I am currently updated at kernel 4.4.0-66. I had been updating Linux Mint pretty regularly since kernel 4.4.0-21.
I believe the update to 4.4.0-65 might be what broke the internet stuff. I think the update screwed up some configuration file, but I don't know what or where. My earlier kernels were all connecting to the internet perfectly, but none of them do so any longer. The ethernet controller is a Realtek RTL 8111/8168/8411 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller on an ASUS motherboard.

I have a triple boot setup:
Windows 10, Linux Mint 13, and Linux Mint 18.
Windows and Linux Mint 13 connect to the internet over ethernet normally (so I know my hardware is OK).
Linux Mint 18 started screwing up with connecting to the internet after the second to the last update (4.4.0-65,I think). I can still connect to my router and my wireless printer, but I can't get past the LAN.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I came up with two workarounds for this. Neither one is perfect, but they seem to work in a pinch (for now).

1. Boot up into Linux Mint 18 as usual.
2. Restart your DSL modem. This takes about 2 minutes with the DSL modem I have. Of course, this isn't too good for anyone else using the LAN.
I can usually get onto the internet once this is done.

Another possible workaround to this problem if you are using a router is to put your DSL modem into bridge mode. This makes your router make the internet over ethernet connection instead of your computer. You may have to set your router up to pass your user name and password to your ISP, and you may have to restart your router or log onto your router and force a test connection, but this will probably be a little quicker than restarting a DSL modem.

One other possibility is to scrounge up a WiFi card and install it. I have heard that Linux Mint 18 is still connecting over WiFi.

Thanks for any help.
--Gregg

massasauga
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved mostly) Recent update of LM18 broke my internet.

Post by massasauga » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:57 am

I did a little hacking of my system and found this solution.

1. Run the following command from a terminal window.

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/network-manager force-reload
A password dialog box will appear.
2. Type your password.
3. Launch your browser, your email client, your FTP client, or any program that you use that requires internet access.

You can also set this up as a script:

Code: Select all

!#/bin/bash
# This forces your ethernet connection to reconnect to the internet.
/etc/init.d/network-manager force-reload
Don't forget to make this an executable script after you create it.

You can create a launcher for the script with an icon to click on for convenience. It will display a password dialog when it runs.

--Gregg

Return to “Ethernet”