No eth0 after ifconfig -a

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foglehw

No eth0 after ifconfig -a

Post by foglehw »

I recently installed linux mint on a seperate drive from windows and cannot get it to connect to my ethernet. I have perfectly fine internet connection on windows os but it will not even detect an eth0 on linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: No eth0 after ifconfig -a

Post by austin.texas »

To provide information on your system, please post the result of these commands:

Code: Select all

inxi -FNxz

lshw -c net; iwconfig
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
FIGG
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No eth0 after ifconfig -a

Post by FIGG »

In place of eth0 do you see something like ens33 or some other name when you run ifconfig? If so you will need to change the name of the network card in the /etc/network/interfaces file to match. If you want to use DHCP and there is currently no entry in the interfaces file you may need to use something like this:

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
You would need to change the “eth0” name listed to match the name of the interface that you see when you run ifconfig.

James

Return to “Networking”