Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
spider
Level 2
Level 2

Set up my home network "Solved"

Post by spider »

hi, wanted to know how to set up my home network so I can see and share with my other computers in my house.

I have Linux Mint wired to my PC. modem:7500 westell and the rest of the PC are wireless. I want to purchase a better Modem since this one is always disconnecting on me and it isn't a configuration problem. I know Windows, I'm still learning Linux

I have 3 wireless XP and 1 vista ultimate and 1 more wireless Linux Mint. a total of 6 PCs in the house.

Just let me know what you need as of information.

Thanks again! :)
spider
Last edited by spider on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Set up my home network

Post by shane »

If you want a user specific share, simply right click on a folder and select properties... then select the share tab and configure the share. You may need to install samba.

If you want a system wide share, you need to setup a samba server. Read this: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Intrepid#Filesharing

wjp.reg

Post by wjp.reg »

Here's an easy to follow tutorial to follow the previous suggestion: http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/ ... ls/6495/1/

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

I would do this in 3 steps:

(1) I would first make sure that all the Windows boxes can communicate with each other. Ensure that they have valid shares and that you've enabled write access to those shares if that's what you require.

(2) EDIT: Sorry. I'm becoming feeble-minded. I left out this step in my original post. The next step should be to see if your linux box can see the Windows shares. You can use nautilus > Network to see if you can view and find the Windows shares. Based on my own experiences and the amount of help requests on forums this is where the majority of problems arise.

(3) Creating shares on the linux box.
There are two completely distinct methods of sharing linux directories:

The "classic" method, invoked by Menu > Administration > Shared Folders, edits the etc/samba/smb.conf file. This is the way it's always been done and there are many excellent howtos in this forum as well as the ones mentioned above.

The "nautilus" method, invoked by Opening Nautilus > right clicking on the directory you want to share > Sharing Options, edits var/lib/samba/usershares. This method also goes by the names usershares and simple sharing. A lot of the permissions and other configurations are done automatically with this method. This utility is rather unique among linux distros and I'll admit I prefer it probably because I wrote a HowTo on the subject: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169

There are some restrictions on the "nautilus method" ( you can only share folders you own ) but there are ways around these restrictions.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider »

when I click on the Network folder and click on windows network in Linux it says:Unable to mount location

first I have to set up the Network... I just don't know how on Linux... my other PCs see fine when I'm on the other computers except they don't see Linux.

Thanks again!
spider :)

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

It sound like you have two separate issues:
when I click on the Network folder and click on windows network in Linux it says:Unable to mount location
Try a few things and see what kind of error messages you get:
Open Terminal
Type smbtree
Type findsmb
Type smbclient -L //192.168.0.100 <--- change that to match actual ip address of the windows box you're trying to connect to.

Can you see your windows shares using any of the above commands? If not and there are errors, post them.
my other PCs see fine when I'm on the other computers except they don't see Linux
Have you created any shares on linux? See step (3) on my earlier post.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider »

( Look afar and see the end from the )
( beginning. )
------------------------------------
o ,__,
o (oo)____
(__) )\
spider@spider ~ $ smbtree
Password:
spider@spider ~ $ findsmb

*=DMB
+=LMB
IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
---------------------------------------------------------------------
spider@spider ~ $ smbclient -L //192.168.1.27
Enter spider's password:
Domain=[TICABONE] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
print$ Disk Printer Drivers
SharedDocs Disk
Printer Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Lexmark Printer Lexmark
session request to 192.168.1.27 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
Domain=[TICABONE] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
spider@spider ~ $

Thanks again!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

OK, it looks like you have a shared directory called SharedDocs on the Windows box. You can try the following to get access to that share:
(1) Open nautilus and type: smb://192.168.1.27/SharedDocs in the location bar.
If it shows you the contents of that share then you can actually bookmark it so you can come back to it. You could also try smb://TICABONE/SharedDocs.
(2) Install smb4K. It will allow you to find and mount that windows share.

What about the share on the linux box. Have you created any shares?

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider »

What about the share on the linux box. Have you created any shares?
No, because I don't even no where to start yet or how on Linux but it still should see the other pc... shared or not.

When I right click a folder in properties.. there is a shared tab... I didn't enable anything ... yet.

Writing is easy; all you do is sit \
| staring at the blank sheet of paper |
| until drops of blood form on your |
| forehead. |
| |
\ -- Gene Fowler /
-------------------------------------
\
\ \_\_ _/_/
\ \__/
(oo)\_______
(__)\ )\/\
||----w |
|| ||
spider@spider ~ $ nautilus
spider@spider ~ $ smb://192.168.1.27/SharedDocs
bash: smb://192.168.1.27/SharedDocs: No such file or directory
spider@spider ~ $ smb://TICABONE/SharedDocs
bash: smb://TICABONE/SharedDocs: No such file or directory
spider@spider ~ $
spider@spider ~ $
spider@spider ~ $

This is what I get so far... err :x

I also installed smb4K and didn't do nothing unless I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks again!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

You misunderstood me which is an easy thing for most people to do :wink:

Double click the "Home" folder on your desktop ( I guess it would be called "spider's home" - that's the nautilus file manager )
On the third task bar from the top there is an icon of a pen and paper on the far left. Click on that and it will open up a location bar. Into that location bar enter either smb://192.168.1.27/SharedDocs or smb://TICABONE/SharedDocs

EDIT1: As for smb4K, when you bring it up it should show you all the machines on your network. You can also search for them individually by using the "Search Dialog" tab. You can search for them by entering 192.168.1.27 or by entering TICABONE.

EDIT2: Your right in your statement above. Even without a share on your linux box Windows should still show your linux box in Network Places. The only thing I can think of is that the samba service is not started. Try this:
Open Terminal
Type sudo service samba restart
Now go back to Windows and see if you can see the linux box.

The only other thing I can think of is that the Linux firerwall is preventing Windows from seeing the box. You might want to turn it off.

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider »

hi, I did see all my pc but only by typing the ip address as for the "sudo service samba restart" I even disable the firewall and it didn't work.

on to MIcrosoft end now:

I do see the Linux PC on all of them.. except for one on the Microsoft Windows end. The one that doesn't see the Linux has the old spider network only reason i know this because it would have said," spider server" I have the user account as spider on XP pro and I can see Linux network. but on the one PC that has Vista... the Network.. says "spider" I think that was the old network before I reinstalled XP pro. could that be the problem or another problem too :?:

sorry a little confused at explaining this :?

Thanks again!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

I've read your last post several times throughout the day and I'm confused. I'm going to parse your last post and give you my interpretation.
I did see all my pc but only by typing the ip address
From your linux machines you can see all of your other boxes ( Windows or Linux ) if you use the ip address. You can bookmark them by ip address in nautilus and you have a workable solution.
on to MIcrosoft end now: I do see the Linux PC on all of them.. except for one on the Microsoft Windows end.
From every windows box except one you can see all the other boxes on the network.
The one that doesn't see the Linux has the old spider network only reason i know this because it would have said," spider server" I have the user account as spider on XP pro and I can see Linux network. but on the one PC that has Vista... the Network.. says "spider" I think that was the old network before I reinstalled XP pro. could that be the problem or another problem too
You've completely lost me on this. There is no "old" network or "new" network. There is only "the" network. Please clarify.

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider »

From every windows box except one you can see all the other boxes on the network
That would be on the Windows Vista end. I can't see the spider server network.
You've completely lost me on this. There is no "old" network or "new" network. There is only "the" network. Please clarify.
sorry about that... at the time of typing... I bite at explaining when typing way to Long or just bite altogether at times.

On the Windows Vista in the Network... it says spider on it and it should say spider server. "The spider Network that is on the Windows Vista.... meaning the computer Icons on the Network" is not part of the Network.

I hope that was better.
Thanks again!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

I still don't think I have it right but let me know if I'm close.

You want all of your machines to have the same workgroup name?
First off you don't have to have all the machines on your network be part of the same workgroup. That's a samba myth. All of the machines on a network must have the same subnet but don't have to be part of the same workgroup. The reason I know that is because my network consists of 4 machines each having a different workgroup name. I do that on purpose. But I digress.

You can change the Vista workgroup name by going to: The Control Panel, open System, and then click Advanced System Settings in the left column. Click the Computer Name tab in the System Properties window and then click Change. Change it to Spider Server ( although I don't know how any OS handles a space in the workgroup entry - maybe you can put quotes around it - I don't know ). Click OK. Then restart your computer.

You can change the workgroup name in linux by editing /etc/samba/samba.conf. In the [global] section there is a line that starts with workgroup =. Change it to whatever you want ( again I don't know about spaces ). Save the file. Open Terminal and type sudo service samba restart and you should have a new workgroup name.

If you want to change the computer name then for Vista it's in the same place that you change the workgroup name.
In linux:
Open Terminal
Type gksudo gedit /etc/hostname
Change it to whatever you want, save the file
Open Terminal
Type sudo service networking restart

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider »

You want all of your machines to have the same work group name?
They all ready have the same work group name."spider"

I did go to the Vista computer and change the work group and restarted the PC and type the work group again "spider" and it gave me an error and said that there is already a duplicate name on the network work group called spider.
I did this for a test to see what would happen... and if there was a problem on this computer "Vista" and I believe it is just don't know what to do yet.

confused :shock:
I hope you understand me on this.
Thanks again!
spider

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Based on your last post I don't think you're changing the workgroup name, I think you're changing the Computer Name. I've never seen an error of "duplicate Workgroup Names". You will get an error if you have duplicate computer names on your network.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to make sure that in Vista you're actually changing the Workgroup name and leaving the Domain name blank or unselected.

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider »

I don't think you're changing the work group name, I think you're changing the Computer Name
No I am Not and I am not a novice on computers.... just Linux. I wish I was changing the computer name then I would agree I am crazy but it's not :(

Anyway I try the work group again and it just took it this time... and didn't give me any errors
after the restart of Vista it did show all the PCs and "spider pc" was in the Network too but this time it ask for a password but I know what it is because I login all the time with my Linux.

now on Vista the Network Icons will all disappear except for the one computer that I am on... "Vista"
I was wondering could it be a virus on Vista that could be doing this :?: or I might have to configure the router to see the "Vista" in the Network.

I believe I did that before Just trying to remember how I did it inside the router.

Thanks again! :)
spider

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

I've given this my best but I truly and honestly do not understand the nature of the problem. The only thing I can recommend to you is step (1) in my original response to your question:
(1) I would first make sure that all the Windows boxes can communicate with each other. Ensure that they have valid shares and that you've enabled write access to those shares if that's what you require.
Make sure you can connect to, read, and write to every windows share from every other windows box. It doesn't appear that you can do that so it sounds to me like a Windows problem and not a linux problem ( at least not yet ).

The only way I can help you at this point would be for me to be standing over your shoulder to see exactly what it is you're tying to do.

Sorry.

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Set up my home network"solved"

Post by spider »

You help alot altair4, and Thanks!

I believe it's a windows issue on Vista only and my wife did tell me it has been running slow and I'm never on it except my kids so that may answer my question why it's going crazy like that.

It was a Linux issue that you help and I thank you on that.

I believe it maybe a virus on Vista... As soon as I have time.. that will be fix.

This is Solved on the Linux.

Thanks again!
Spider :D

AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Set up my home network"solved"

Post by AK Dave »

spider wrote:I believe it maybe a virus on Vista... As soon as I have time.. that will be fix.
Get rid of Vista. It is a Trojan.

Return to “Ethernet”