Mint 18.1 Networking Wizard/Tutorial? [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
piso mojado
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 18.1 Networking Wizard/Tutorial? [SOLVED]

Post by piso mojado »

I'm brand new to Linux. I just installed 18.1 64-bit on a NUC6CAY which I want to network with an HTPC running Windows 7 and another Mac desktop running Sierra in order to share files.

I'm looking for an up-to-date tutorial, but most of what I'm finding is for older systems, talking about XP and such. I've read the word Samba a few times, but then again, this altair4 fellow says NOT to use it, there's a better, Linux way. However, when I tried to follow his guide, step 3 failed for me (a file wasn't created).

Nautilus-share? Nemo-share? Samba? I'm so confused!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, kernel 5.15.0-91 on an Intel NUC6CAYH connected to a Samsung UN40EH5000FXZA via hdmi. Audio: Intel Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Audio Cluster
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 18.1 Networking Wizard/Tutorial?

Post by austin.texas »

The reason Step 3 failed for you is because that command works in Mint 17.3, which has the gedit text editor. You are using Mint 18.1, which uses the xed text editor.
So for you the command is:

Code: Select all

gksu xed /etc/avahi/services/samba.service
Also, please note that Mint 18.1 does not have samba installed by default. See instructions here
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You need to tell us what desktop environment ( DE ) you are using: Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, or KDE?

Each version of Mint18 has messed up Samba in a different way so it matters which one you are using.

The only things that are desktop agnostic are:

** You need to install samba first:

sudo apt-get install samba --install-recommends
** If Windows is involved go through the checklist: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist
** If you only have Linux and/or macOS then use: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=185410#p960482
I tried to edit that post to add a note about xed instead of gedit but it's locked. Why I do not know.

Where you go from here depends on which DE you use.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
piso mojado
Level 2
Level 2

Post by piso mojado »

Thanks for the instructions. I followed them and now I can see and transfer files to and from my Linux box (running 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit) from my Mac and Windows 7 machines. However, although I see those machines from the Linux box, I get the error "unable to mount location" when I try to connect to them. Since the Windows 7 machine is the HTPC media server, this is still a problem. But I feel like it's halfway solved, which is encouraging!
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, kernel 5.15.0-91 on an Intel NUC6CAYH connected to a Samsung UN40EH5000FXZA via hdmi. Audio: Intel Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Audio Cluster
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Let's talk about macOS first:

There is a bug - in both samba and macOS - that impacts how the samba client accesses a macOS SMB share. Samba has a fix for this in version 4.4.5 but Ubuntu refuses to allow that version in the repositories for Ubuntu 16.04 ( which is the basis for Mint 18 ).

You have two choices:

[1] Do a CIFS mount of the macos share - this is how mine looks:

** I create a mount point for the macos share:

sudo mkdir /media/DMBP-smbuser
** Then I added the following line to /etc/fstab:

//dmbp.local/smbuser /media/DMBP-smbuser cifs username=smbuser,password=smbuserpw,uid=1000,noauto,nounix,user 0 0
That line will automatically create a launcher on the side panel of Nemo ( you didn't specify what DE you are using so I will assume it's Cinnamon ). When I click on it the share will be mounted.

For more on this technique: On Demand CIFS Mounting of Shares

[2] Install and use Ubuntu 17.04 instead of Mint.

Ubuntu 17.04 ( and it's variations like Xubuntu, etc.. ) have the newer version of samba where the fix has been applied.
Last edited by altair4 on Sun May 21, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Now it's time for Windows:

If by "public" you mean a share on Windows that does not require a password to access then it's another bug. Bottom line is that access to a Windows Public share through smbclient ( which is what Nemo uses ) is not permitted.

I should note that in some cases users have been able to fool the smbclient process by passing their own Linux user name and password to the Windows machine. Use "Connect to Server" for that. You might try that first. Worst case you may need to add your linux user to the samba password databse which makes even less sense:

sudo smbpasswd -a your-user-name
[/color]

Again, You have two choices:

[1] Use the same CIFS mount technique you used for the mac.

** Create a mount point for the share:

sudo mkdir /media/Win7Share
** Then add the following line to /etc/fstab and secify the user "guest":

//server/share /media/Win7Share cifs username=guest,uid=1000,noauto,nounix,user 0 0
Guest access in a CIFS mount is permitted. Guest access from smbclient is not. Welcome to Linux.

[2] Create a user on the Windows machine ( I call mine smbuser ).

And make the share accessible to that user. When prompted for credentials pass smbuser and the password you assigned for that user.
piso mojado
Level 2
Level 2

Post by piso mojado »

Thanks very much for the instructions. I didn't know it would be so easy! (j/k) I had a professional programmer pal come over and work on it a couple hours this morning. He says:

At first when trying to mount I kept getting "mount error 115 operation in progress". I created a user on the windows machine matching the mint user and gave full control but I was still getting the mount error. However when I did this:
rearrange the order to make bcast first by adding a line to the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf - right under the "workgroup" line:

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
It suddenly worked.

Thanks again for your help.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

piso mojado wrote:
rearrange the order to make bcast first by adding a line to the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf - right under the "workgroup" line:

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
It suddenly worked.

Thanks again for your help.
See, a 6 year old HowTo and it still works. :)

Return to “Networking”