Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TekNoMad
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Default Gateway

Post by TekNoMad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:11 am

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to manually set the default gateway, or disable one permanently. My situation is...
Linux Mint 18.1 I have a wifi dongle connecting to my home router with the internet gateway. 192.168.x.x (Typical). But then I have another router 10.0.0.1 for just a couple machines for eth0 LAN.
The problem is that the eth0 keeps popping back up in "route" as the default gateway along with the 192.168.x.x causing my wifi to drop and no internet connectivity.
I've searched all over and can't seem to find anything that pertains to this type of problem except older versions of linux or temporary fixes. None of the config files that I've been pointed to even exist any more or don't apply the settings. I didn't know if I could even just blacklist the eth0 from the gateway or something. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by TekNoMad on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Default Gateway

Post by DanielR » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:29 am

Have you tried the following set up for two default gateways on one system: https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Tw ... One_System ?

TekNoMad
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Default Gateway

Post by TekNoMad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:20 am

Thank you very much for the quick reply. That does look interesting and gives me more options to investigate. I didn't realize you could run 2 gateways like that. I'm wanting to just eliminate the hardwired LAN gateway all together though if possible as I only need the WiFi for internet access.
It seems strange that it keeps adding the 10.0.0.1 back into the routing table for a default gateway. I keep manually removing it from the command line but that only lasts about 20 min then my internet drops, I check route, and it's back in. If I could find a way to just blacklist it or a configuration somewhere to just have the 192.168.x.x for the only gateway would be the ideal setup.
The main reason being is that I have 4 devices on the LAN that I prefer to not have access outside the LAN. If that's a possibility. Seems like there would be a hard config file that could be set, or edited but it's eluding me. LOL I was thinking about including a topography if you think that would that would help?

TekNoMad
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Default Gateway

Post by TekNoMad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Well, Probably a rookie over-site. But I figured out I just have to configure the network manually. Had to set static IP's for all the devices and turn off DHCP on the router since there isn't a way to turn off the gateway on this D-Link router. Last one of those I buy. LOL

Return to “Ethernet”