New Linux Mint Installation - unable to obtain IP address

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintWithaHole

New Linux Mint Installation - unable to obtain IP address

Post by MintWithaHole »

I have just recently installed Linux MINT to try out again. I have several issues with it, but in this post would like to focus on the network problem. When MINT starts up (which seems to take a long time) my network adapter seems to be recognized but there it usually has no IP address bound to it. If I add a profile (in Administration->Network), this immediately picks up a new IP4 address. Sometimes it will keep the address after a couple of reboots, but sooner or later it will come up without an IP address again. I disabled the splash screen on boot-up so I could see what is happening, and one thing I noticed is that it does seem to pause maybe 30-40sec while launching Network Manager.

I am also running Windows 7 and Windows 10 on this PC and neither have had any problem picking up an IP address from my DHCP server (i.e. DrayTek Vigor 2800 series router). In fact I have had to boot back in to Windows to post this so if any information is required then I will have to re-boot, capture it and come back here again to post it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintWithaHole

Re: New Linux Mint Installation - unable to obtain IP address

Post by MintWithaHole »

This morning my MINT installation decided to play ball and network manager gave me an IP address. Since I can, for the moment post the information directly, here is the output from lspci:

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev b5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation H61 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
[b]03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)[/b]
04:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller
05:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
The /etc/network/interfaces file looks pretty much default:
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
I also forgot to mention that my ethernet device seems to come up as 'enp3s0' rather than 'eth0' or similar. I have no idea what enp3s0 means but maybe its relevant to the issue?
Last edited by MintWithaHole on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed 'quote' to code tag
MintWithaHole

Post by MintWithaHole »

Does anyone have an answer for this please?

I have found that I can quickly sort it by doing a 'network-manager restart', but why does it not get an IP address in the first place?
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Although it may not be directly related to the problem... please advise which version of Mint you are working with, and which DE (Desktop) it is running.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
re: enp3s0 (Network adapter)

This is known as Predictable Network Interface naming

Snippets:
"the interface name can be predicted by looking at lspci output,"
You should be able to verify the name using it's position in the pci system,
In your case that would be pci bus 3, slot 0

You can do more research by Googling Predictable Network Interface naming
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

To narrow down the problem, Try setting your network device with a static addressing in your network settings down on the panel (Im using Mate Desktop) if it works then after a reboot then its related to dhcp somehow. Like perhaps the ports is getting blocked or something.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Uranium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Uranium »

Correct me if I'm wrong gents, I believe we have here a case of "Realtek driver strikes again....". The default module in use with that particular ethernet chipset seems to give untold user nothing but problems. I've had to use the drivers from the realtek site for that one, now all is good with the world.
MintWithaHole

Post by MintWithaHole »

Thanks for the explanation for Predictable network Interface Naming. This is a term that I had not come across before. I've had a look at the references and researched it a bit and it all makes sense. The controller is indeed on bus 3 and slot 0 so the device handle is as would be expected.
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8P67 and other motherboards
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 35
I/O ports at d000
Memory at f2104000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
Memory at f2100000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169

I am curious about the Realtek driver issue as on Debian the adapter is identified specifically as RTL8168, whereas on Mint it is identified as RTL8111/RTL8168/RTL8411. However from the above it is evident that the r8169 driver is being used. In any event, is there a way to check the driver revison number? I could then check whether Debian is using the same or different version of the driver. I will also bear in mind that downloading the driver from the Realtek site might be an option.

Thanks for the troubleshooting suggestions (i.e. trying static IP). I'm currently trying to sort out a problem with the SSD (subject of a separate thread) drive and will come back to this issue later. It might be totally unrelated, but when the SSD is plugged into the 6gbit slot there are lots of errors on boot-up and the system takes 5 mins or so to boot. One of the errors relates to a 1min 30sec wait for the network manager to initialise. Another problem every now and then is that the system will not launch the graphical environment but just stops at the text login prompt. I then have to login in and type 'startx'. Booting with the SSD in the 3gbit slot takes just a few seconds and I don't, as yet, seem to have had any errors. I have just ordered a replacement drive from another manufacturer to rule out compatibility issues and will update the thread once it arrives and I have had a chance to install it.
MintWithaHole

Post by MintWithaHole »

I received the new SSD drive today (Samsung EVO 850) and have installed both of my Windows as well as a clean fresh install of Mint on to it. The new drive is plugged into the 6gb SATA interface and the boot-up errors are no longer present. Mint boots up incredibly fast and although it is still early days, so far no problems. I will monitor for a while and see how it goes and will update in a day or two.

Return to “Networking”