Nemo not showing network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux-cb

Nemo not showing network

Post by linux-cb »

I upgraded from mint 17.3 to 18.1 cinnamon today.
My home network includes my Linux machine and several Windows 10 machines. Everything connects fine through samba. My Windows machines all see the Linux machine, and I can share files in both directions.
The problem is that the Nemo file manager shows "Windows Network", but does not show the MSHOME. It also does not show the Linux machine. All of this worked ok the the 17.3 version.

Thanks for any help on this.

Here is a copy of the global and networking sections of samba:

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of

# old workgroup = WORKGROUP

workgroup = MSHOME

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server
# wins support = no

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
; wins server = w.x.y.z

# This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
dns proxy = no

#### Networking ####

# The specific set of interfaces / networks to bind to
# This can be either the interface name or an IP address/netmask;
# interface names are normally preferred
; interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0

# Only bind to the named interfaces and/or networks; you must use the
# 'interfaces' option above to use this.
# It is recommended that you enable this feature if your Samba machine is
# not protected by a firewall or is a firewall itself. However, this
# option cannot handle dynamic or non-broadcast interfaces correctly.
; bind interfaces only = yes
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linux-cb

Re: Nemo not showing network

Post by linux-cb »

Update.
Nemo shows my other computers now, not sure what happened as it didn't work all afternoon after multiple re-boots.

I had transferred a bunch of files from one of my Windows machines to Linux. During one transfer Nemo locked up. When I re-booted everything seems to work perfectly.

I hope the fix sticks!
linux-cb

Post by linux-cb »

Well, the fix didn't stick. Nemo stopped showing anything on the network after a re-boot. No settings had been changed. Re-booted a number of times and it just won't show the network. File shares work, just can't do it through Nemo.

I'm out of ideas.
Festrada007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Festrada007 »

I have the same issue, My RaspberryPi works out of the box. I have used Peppermint Linux befor and find it is much more stable and refined. it has everything nice about Mint and missing all the negatives. Their forum has more knowledgeable users helping out and it has features that make it so much better.
I just want an OS that works out of the box, If I wanted to spend all my time looking up how to fix my OS I'd load windows.
Chip

AATW
coltswalker

Post by coltswalker »

There is a utility I use called 'gigolo' (yes a funny name) that is helpful for either providing a good way to discover and connect to cifs shares, or just use in troubleshooting. It has good discovery.

Gigolo is a facilitator to access and mount remote shares. It uses the same base samba client packages as other methods. “It mounts what it is told to."

sudo apt-get install gigolo
sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse

When you open up gigolo click on the Network tab on the side panel and it will eventually show you all your workgroups and all the hosts.

The remote share should be displayed in the right panel of gigolo and double clicking the share will open a file manager.
Festrada007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Festrada007 »

Awesome, thank you very much.

The site says to use the -y flag when installing gigolo.
Detailed Instructions:
Step 1
Run update command to update package repositories and get latest package information.
sudo apt-get update -y
Step 2
Run the install command with -y flag to quickly install the packages and dependencies.
sudo apt-get install -y gigolo
Step 3
Check the system logs to confirm that there are no related errors. You can use ZoomAdmin to check the logs, manager servers, host multiple websites and apps on your servers and more. The apps run in docker containers, to learn more
see ZoomAdmin Features for list of features and demo videos. And you can start with the Free Plan.

Then

Install gvfs by entering the following commands in the terminal:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install gvfs
Description:

userspace virtual filesystem - GIO module

gvfs is a userspace virtual filesystem where mounts run as separate processes which you talk to via D-Bus. It also contains a gio module that seamlessly adds gvfs support to all applications using the gio API. It also supports exposing the gvfs mounts to non-gio applications using fuse. . This package contains the GIO module that lets applications use gvfs mounts.

Homepage: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/gvfs
Chip

AATW
Festrada007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Festrada007 »

coltswalker wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:05 pm There is a utility I use called 'gigolo' (yes a funny name) that is helpful for either providing a good way to discover and connect to cifs shares, or just use in troubleshooting. It has good discovery.

Gigolo is a facilitator to access and mount remote shares. It uses the same base samba client packages as other methods. “It mounts what it is told to."

When you open up gigolo click on the Network tab on the side panel and it will eventually show you all your workgroups and all the hosts.

The remote share should be displayed in the right panel of gigolo and double clicking the share will open a file manager.
While it does seem to automate Domain login, it doesn't do what we need it to do, that is assist with network discovery of other linux machines on the network. I could give a rats but about the windows machines, I want a Linux network, I can connect through SSH and I can reconnect every time, but Mint will not auto discover other Linux based OS. Why? seems really simple, so simple even Windows can do it. So can Raspberrian and Linux Peppermint and Ubuntu. But Linux Mint with Cinnamon cant do this????? thought this was LTS? Comon devs, this is supposed to be better than windows and ubuntu.......

Disappointed
Chip

AATW
Festrada007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Festrada007 »

coltswalker wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:05 pm There is a utility I use called 'gigolo' (yes a funny name) that is helpful for either providing a good way to discover and connect to cifs shares, or just use in troubleshooting. It has good discovery.

OK got it to work, but not intuitive at all. And doesn't work like it should, I can map the shares, but I can't pick the share I want. I had to map/ Mount the share to the user home directory so be able to see it. Not ideal, but it works, I have to say using linux over Windows had made me a lover of Linux based distros, but windows blows Linux out of the water with its networking abilities, Unix still has an edge, but not when it come to ease and configurability.

I still plan on using it solely as I'm a glutton for punishment and I'm retired so it keeps my brain exercised and functioning.
Thank you for your help and for putting up with this grumpy old fart and former Paratrooper. AATW
Chip

AATW

Return to “Networking”