Wired connection not turn on after sleep/restart/etc.

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Candy Cane
Level 1
Level 1

Wired connection not turn on after sleep/restart/etc.

Post by Candy Cane » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:32 am

Hi,

I installed 18.1 Cinn. the other day and had this issue from the beginning.

When the system is powered on from shutdown, restart, sleep, etc. -- the wired network cable remains "unplugged/disconnected".

This can be fixed by physically unplugging the cable and holding it in again (until the lights flash). The connection is then established; however this is tiresome.

I tried this solution viewtopic.php?t=91152 (to edit /etc/rc.local), however it did not fix the issue.

This is the ethernet controller:

Code: Select all

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Dell Inspiron 530
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 25
	Memory at fdfc0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
	Memory at fdfff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	I/O ports at fe00 [size=32]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: e1000e
	Kernel modules: e1000e
Any help will be appreciated.

Lildicki
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wired connection not turn on after sleep/restart/etc.

Post by Lildicki » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:39 pm

I was getting more confused as I read each posted solution....I was figuring the router was differentiating between my desk top and laptop and denying e-net access to the laptop......Nothing worked until I read Candy Cane's "pull the plug and reinsert" fix....back on ethernet.....Me happy now..... Tanks Candy

djk44883
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wired connection not turn on after sleep/restart/etc.

Post by djk44883 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:26 pm

I don't have an answer, just you're not alone - and how I figured out un/plug the cable to fix it... yet it's a hassle. By chance I rearranged my house and that one computer no longer goes through a switch, and plugs into the primary router I no longer have the problem. It only did it on resume and none of the other computers on the switch ever sleep so I couldn't say what it was... or why.

Doug
If not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost... the Minnow would be lost!

Return to “Ethernet”