Cannot Access LAN [Solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rlsj

Re: Cannot Access LAN

Post by rlsj »

Always something else!

Bookmarking lets Nemo show, under Bookmarks, the line, "c on 192.168.1.2." After a restart, however, clicking on that bookmark results in a dialog box displaying,
"Enter password to unlock your login keyring / The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer. / Password ?"

A keyring? What's that on a computer? Supplying my user_id password removes the dialog box. If I then click on the bookmark once more, I finally get to see items on the Windows machine. Is this only a disguised demand to see my password at login? This at every power-up?

Where can I suggest that some enterprising programmer kindly supply a common way to disable _all_ Linux security? For a private installation I can't believe hackers could cause half the grief involved in keeping them at bay! The firewall on the Internet modem, refusal to bite tempting bait and telephone confirmation of inquiries are sufficient protection.

Again after a restart, ignoring the new "bookmark," I invoke the terminal and key
nemo smb.//192.168.1.2

A dialog box appears requiring a WORKGROUP password. Yes, "none" works. Must I supply some kind of password at every login to access the network?

No.

From the tone of previous discussion I gather none of you gentlemen can suggest a way to avoid this. It seems all that remains is to try another distro.
rlsj

Post by rlsj »

Always something else!

Bookmarking lets Nemo show, under Bookmarks, the line, "c on 192.168.1.2." After a restart, however, clicking on that bookmark results in a dialog box displaying,
"Enter password to unlock your login keyring / The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer. / Password ?"

A keyring? What's that on a computer? Supplying my user_id password removes the dialog box. If I then click on the bookmark once more, I finally get to see items on the Windows machine. Is this only a disguised demand to see my password at login? This at every power-up?

Where can I suggest that some enterprising programmer kindly supply a common way to disable _all_ Linux security? For a private installation I can't believe hackers could cause half the grief involved in keeping them at bay! The firewall on the Internet modem, refusal to bite tempting bait and telephone confirmation of inquiries are sufficient protection.

Again after a restart, ignoring the new "bookmark," I invoke the terminal and key
nemo smb.//192.168.1.2

A dialog box appears requiring a WORKGROUP password. Yes, "none" works. Must I supply some kind of password at every login to access the network?

No.

From the tone of previous discussion I gather none of you gentlemen can suggest a way to avoid this. It seems all that remains is to try another distro.
rlsj

Post by rlsj »

I apologize for repeating the previous post. Failing to see the graduation to Page 2, I assumed it had fallen through the cracks. Now I learn that this board does not permit deleting posts, despite offering a "Delete Post" button while editing. Unfortunately two screw-ups don't fix a mistake.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I gather none of you gentlemen can suggest a way to avoid this.
Yes there is another way and it's one I suggested above in my link.

Let's do it step by step.

[1] Create a mount point for the Windows share:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /media/Win10C
It doesn't have to be under /media. It can be in your home directory. But it has to be one of those.
[2] Edit /etc/fstab:

gksu xed /etc/fstab
[3] Add this line to the end of the file:

//192.168.1.2/c /media/Win10C cifs guest,uid=1000,noauto,user 0 0
Or, if you ended up passing a user name ( xxxx ) and password ( yyyy ) this line:

//192.168.1.2/c /media/Win10C cifs username=xxxx,password=yyyy,uid=1000,noauto,user 0 0
Then save the file.

When you open Nemo you should have on the side panel - under Network - something labelled Win10C. When you click on it it will go to fstab, read the line you just added for instructions on how to mount, mount the C share on 192.168.1.2 as guest or the supplied credentials in fstab without prompting for a password, and display it's contents. You will also see a little mount icon next to the Win10C label that you can use to unmount the share.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
rlsj

Re: Cannot Access LAN [Solved]

Post by rlsj »

That did it, altair4. Thank you very much! Now I have, immediately after boot, a "Win10D" icon on my desktop. Double-clicking it brings up a Nemo window showing the Windows-10 D-drive -- with no mention of a password. Wonderful! I'll enjoy playing with this technique to make the C drive and drives on other machines similarly accessible.

Thanks again!

Return to “Networking”