Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Headwinds
Level 1
Level 1

Ethernet Permissions

Postby Headwinds » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:49 pm

I have two PCs ("EAST" and "WEST") running Linux Mint, connected via Ethernet through a TP-Link router. The names of the two machines are "linuxbox" and "linux2". When I open terminal windows on the two machines, the prompts are: "linuxbox@linuxbox-East ~ $" and "linux2@linux2-West ~ $", so I'll call them "EAST" and "WEST" here for simplicity.

I can't figure out how to share documents between the two machines.

Case 1 (WEST's documents are Read Only for EAST):
Create a document on WEST.
Copy it to EAST.
EAST can open the document only as Read Only. Properties show owner as "avahi - Avahi mDNS daemon" with Read and Write privileges. Others are Read Only, and EAST can't change this.
To work with the document, EAST must save a copy of it.

Case 2 (same as 1 but reverse the direction and edit permissions from EAST):
Create a document on EAST.
Save it on EAST. From EAST, owner is "linuxbox - Jim & Celeste" with Read and Write access. The linuxbox group and all others have Read Only access.
From EAST, change access for the linuxbox group and all others to Read and Write.
WEST can open the document, edit it, and save it. EAST can subsequently open the document and see WEST's changes. Permissions weren't changed by WEST's activity. WEST can't see any permissions information: "The permissions of 'Test.odt' could not be determined."

Case 3 (same as 2, but only grant R/W permission to the linuxbox group):
Create a Libre Office Write document on EAST.
Save it on EAST. From EAST, owner is "linuxbox - Jim & Celeste" with Read and Write access. The linuxbox group and all others have Read Only access.
From EAST, change access for the linuxbox group (but not all others) to Read and Write.
WEST can open the document only as Read Only. WEST can't see any permissions information: "The permissions of 'Test.odt' could not be determined."

Bottom line: The only way I can have documents that both EAST and WEST can edit is to create them on EAST and set their permissions to Read and Write for all users.

Return to “Ethernet”