Very Strange Ethernet Wired situation.SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Very Strange Ethernet Wired situation.SOLVED

Post by bicky »

I am running Linux Mint18.2 on a HP Notebook.
All of a sudden for no reason I have strange Ethernet behaviour.
My computer runs just fine on WiFi, but on ethernet wired I get the message "ethernet wired connection Connected" but I cannot access Web sites, Skype, Viber - in fact anything.If I disconnect the cable and just run on Wireless, all is good.
I have connected this ethernet cable to other machines and it works just fine.
Any ideas as to what the problem is, and a solution.

P.S I should just add the same applies to the VPN I am using - connects fine on WiFi - but not on Ethernet Wired.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Very Strange Ethernet Wired situation.

Post by rene »

If not a hardware problem, you likely have a bad DNS setting for your wired connection. Can you ping 8.8.8.8 over wired?

In Cinnamon, click the network icon is the systray and chose "Network Settings" to view the DNS setting. And I take it things used to work?
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Hi - yes it used to work, am using Smart DNS, all works fine on wireless. On wired, I can't get into anything to "Ping it " - it does work Ok on other machines. Seems to me to be Hardware orientated. Perhaps if I uninstall Network Manager and reinstall - if possible I don't want a complete reinstall !!!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

"Getting into" in this case just consists of opening a terminal and typing ping 8.8.8.8. If indeed it starts pinging (end it with Ctrl-C) then the issue would be confirmed to be a DNS one. Clicking the network icon as described should also be doable. Reinstalling network-manager is not likely useful.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Hi - o.K - ping is fine - it's pinging away no issues.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The issue's then as said confirmed to be a DNS one; go into your network settings (see above) and see if you can spot the problem. Report back in more detail then up to now if you can not.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

O.k. - Have checked the DNS settings , they are on Auto DHCP, and seem to be O.K. However I have connected up via USB - a Realtek Wireless network adapter, and am pleased to report that everything now works just fine. I am back to full speed on my downloads ( Wired )
So can I assume that the Ethernet card in my machine is faulty. Whatever I can survive using this Adapter card.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Not sure I understand. Did you mean you connected a USB wired rather than wireless adapter? Because you reported things were already working fine through wireless anyway...

And, well, no, I would not assume that. If the command line ping 8.8.8.8 worked fine over wired than it was confirmed that the connection was fine; that supposedly only ping www.google.com did not work, that supposedly only name-resolving was the issue. You plugging in the USB adaptor supposedly triggered a DNS-server reconfig; do/did things as such also work again after a reboot or a unplug/replug of the ethernet cable?

There's likely nothing wrong wit your hardware.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Hi - don't know which solved the problem , did a reboot after plugging in the cable !! - but - if I remove the USB Adapter it stops working !!!!!!!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

No idea what's happening there but let me then just reiterate that you may assume your hardware to be fine.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Hi - thanks very much - glad my hardware is O.K. - what i might do when i have a "Quiet" period, is reinstall this Mint with Windows as a dual boot, I have been meaning to do this for some time.
If my hardware is O.K. this should clear the problem.
Like you - I have no idea what's going on !!

Return to “Networking”