Route traffic

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tcpip

Route traffic

Post by tcpip »

Hello,

I have 1 server connected to internet and other 2 connected to my server, how can I configure my servers so when they do an any task that requestes internet goes via the server 1?

thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trapperjohn

Re: Route traffic

Post by trapperjohn »

Hi,

Assuming the server is a Linux system the task can be accomplished with ip forwarding and iptables (masquerading). The are several articles that provide guidance but the best, in my opinion, is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/router. Naturally, you need to weed out the Arch-specific stuff.

However, I avoid home-rolling routers from existing systems with other purposes. I like a dedicated system and there are great router/gateway/firewall distros available. My preference is pfsense.
tcpip

Re: Route traffic

Post by tcpip »

hello,

My topology is very simple

Internet ---> Linux Server -----> Linux server 1

I disable the iptable in linux server, but when I try to update or install any up from linux server 1 to internet I dont have access.

Ithanks

Return to “Networking”