Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
null
Level 1
Level 1

Remote into Linux Mint from Windows 10 through Ethernet

Postby null » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:09 pm

I'm really new to Linux and networking, and I'm having a heck of a time getting this working. I want to remote into my Linux Mint desktop from my Windows 10 desktop over an Ethernet connection (WiFi card in Linux desktop sucks). I've followed several guides on trying to do this, including this guideand this forum post, which seem to be saying the same thing, just using different VNC clients, but as I said, I'm bad at networks and Linux so I could be wrong. I've been trying to do this all with the wlp3s0 Ethernet IP address from typing ifconfig in the terminal, but every time, on every client (Windows Remote Desktop Connection, VNC Viewer, Tight VNC Viewer) I get a timeout error.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong and how to get this to finally work?

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Remote into Linux Mint from Windows 10 through Ethernet

Postby administrollaattori » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:36 pm

I suppose that you can do that using Putty in Windows.

Neil Edmond
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Neil Edmond » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 pm

As long as you have a VNC server running on the Linux machine, and a VNC client on the Windows side, you should be fine. Other easy to use cross platform remote desktop apps are TeamViewer and NoMachine. I've used all three solutions before to do just what you want to do. Well, I remote control both ways Linux to Windows, and Windows to Linux, and I too know very little about networking.

tovian
Level 4
Level 4

Postby tovian » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Unhook your ISP's gateway from the internet. That will isolate your network and keep you safe while you SHUTDOWN/DISABLE ALL FIREWALLS. Then try your processes again. That will tell you if a firewall is causing the error you are seeing. Be sure to start your firewall(s) back up BEFORE you reconnect your gateway to the internet. If you find that a firewall is causing the problem it should be simple to fix.
"Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!”

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Postby catweazel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:09 pm

administrollaattori wrote:I suppose that you can do that using Putty in Windows.

Nonsense.
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:53 pm

In the Windows command line type ping ip.of.linux.machine to see if Windows can reach it.

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Postby administrollaattori » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:13 am

catweazel wrote:
administrollaattori wrote:I suppose that you can do that using Putty in Windows.

Nonsense.

Could you justify your comment?

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Postby catweazel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:20 am

administrollaattori wrote:
catweazel wrote:

Nonsense.

Could you justify your comment?

null wrote:VNC clients ... (Windows Remote Desktop Connection, VNC Viewer, Tight VNC Viewer)

PuTTY is a SSH and telnet client. SSH is a shell, and telnet runs in shells. All the poster will get is a command line.
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Postby administrollaattori » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:30 am

catweazel wrote:PuTTY is a SSH and telnet client. SSH is a shell, and telnet runs in shells. All the poster will get is a command line.

Yes, but you should be able to connect using PuTTY. For some years ago I tested PuTTY in Windows, and it was able to connect into linux-computer.

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Postby catweazel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:34 am

administrollaattori wrote:
catweazel wrote:PuTTY is a SSH and telnet client. SSH is a shell, and telnet runs in shells. All the poster will get is a command line.

Yes, but you should be able to connect using PuTTY. For some years ago I tested PuTTY in Windows, and was able to connect into linux-computer.

Yes, but the poster was explicit about using Remote Desktop Protocol. It isn't unheard of to want to run GUI applications in linux.

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Penn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:36 pm

null wrote:(WiFi card in Linux desktop sucks)

This seems to indicate it is only a problem in Linux? If so, more information about the chipset (and maybe a few other things) would help. Post results from (and this may help with other aspects)

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

Were you able to connect through wifi with a bad connection or not at all?

One mention was Nomachine. I have used that and what makes it helpful is you install the same program on two computers and it is kind of a do it all networking solution. It seems to me it was designed for people that don't have a lot of network knowledge but some amount of techie capability to use however can also be used to do even more by people who do have quite a bit of network knowledge.

wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wallyUSA » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:00 pm

MintBean wrote:In the Windows command line type ping ip.of.linux.machine to see if Windows can reach it.

I took this ping ip.of.linux.machine as a complete cli syntax. Perhaps you could say ping (ip) where ip=the ip of the windows machine?
Also, it might be helpful to tell the poster a simple way to find the actual ip?
Just a suggestion trying to make it easier on the poster. :wink:
Mint 18.2 Sonya Cinnamon (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the title.

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:55 pm

wallyUSA wrote:
MintBean wrote:In the Windows command line type ping ip.of.linux.machine to see if Windows can reach it.

I took this ping ip.of.linux.machine as a complete cli syntax. Perhaps you could say ping (ip) where ip=the ip of the windows machine?
Also, it might be helpful to tell the poster a simple way to find the actual ip?
Since he was talking about the 'wlp3s0 Ethernet IP address' and running 'ifconfig,' I assumed he understood what an ip address was and what the ip of the Linux machine was.

wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wallyUSA » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 pm

MintBean wrote:
wallyUSA wrote:

Since he was talking about the 'wlp3s0 Ethernet IP address' and running 'ifconfig,' I assumed he understood what an ip address was and what the ip of the Linux machine was.

Cool! Thanks for the explanation! :D
Mint 18.2 Sonya Cinnamon (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the title.

Return to “Ethernet”