Remote into Linux Mint from Windows 10 through Ethernet

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
null

Remote into Linux Mint from Windows 10 through Ethernet

Post by null »

I'm really new to Linux and networking, and I'm having a heck of a time getting this working. I want to remote into my Linux Mint desktop from my Windows 10 desktop over an Ethernet connection (WiFi card in Linux desktop sucks). I've followed several guides on trying to do this, including this guideand this forum post, which seem to be saying the same thing, just using different VNC clients, but as I said, I'm bad at networks and Linux so I could be wrong. I've been trying to do this all with the wlp3s0 Ethernet IP address from typing ifconfig in the terminal, but every time, on every client (Windows Remote Desktop Connection, VNC Viewer, Tight VNC Viewer) I get a timeout error.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong and how to get this to finally work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Remote into Linux Mint from Windows 10 through Ethernet

Post by kukamuumuka »

I suppose that you can do that using Putty in Windows.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

As long as you have a VNC server running on the Linux machine, and a VNC client on the Windows side, you should be fine. Other easy to use cross platform remote desktop apps are TeamViewer and NoMachine. I've used all three solutions before to do just what you want to do. Well, I remote control both ways Linux to Windows, and Windows to Linux, and I too know very little about networking.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Unhook your ISP's gateway from the internet. That will isolate your network and keep you safe while you SHUTDOWN/DISABLE ALL FIREWALLS. Then try your processes again. That will tell you if a firewall is causing the error you are seeing. Be sure to start your firewall(s) back up BEFORE you reconnect your gateway to the internet. If you find that a firewall is causing the problem it should be simple to fix.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

administrollaattori wrote:I suppose that you can do that using Putty in Windows.
Nonsense.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

In the Windows command line type ping ip.of.linux.machine to see if Windows can reach it.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

catweazel wrote:
administrollaattori wrote:I suppose that you can do that using Putty in Windows.
Nonsense.
Could you justify your comment?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

administrollaattori wrote:
catweazel wrote:
Nonsense.
Could you justify your comment?
null wrote:VNC clients ... (Windows Remote Desktop Connection, VNC Viewer, Tight VNC Viewer)
PuTTY is a SSH and telnet client. SSH is a shell, and telnet runs in shells. All the poster will get is a command line.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

catweazel wrote: PuTTY is a SSH and telnet client. SSH is a shell, and telnet runs in shells. All the poster will get is a command line.
Yes, but you should be able to connect using PuTTY. For some years ago I tested PuTTY in Windows, and it was able to connect into linux-computer.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

administrollaattori wrote:
catweazel wrote: PuTTY is a SSH and telnet client. SSH is a shell, and telnet runs in shells. All the poster will get is a command line.
Yes, but you should be able to connect using PuTTY. For some years ago I tested PuTTY in Windows, and was able to connect into linux-computer.
Yes, but the poster was explicit about using Remote Desktop Protocol. It isn't unheard of to want to run GUI applications in linux.
Penn

Post by Penn »

null wrote:(WiFi card in Linux desktop sucks)
This seems to indicate it is only a problem in Linux? If so, more information about the chipset (and maybe a few other things) would help. Post results from (and this may help with other aspects)

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Were you able to connect through wifi with a bad connection or not at all?

One mention was Nomachine. I have used that and what makes it helpful is you install the same program on two computers and it is kind of a do it all networking solution. It seems to me it was designed for people that don't have a lot of network knowledge but some amount of techie capability to use however can also be used to do even more by people who do have quite a bit of network knowledge.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

MintBean wrote:In the Windows command line type ping ip.of.linux.machine to see if Windows can reach it.
I took this ping ip.of.linux.machine as a complete cli syntax. Perhaps you could say ping (ip) where ip=the ip of the windows machine?
Also, it might be helpful to tell the poster a simple way to find the actual ip?
Just a suggestion trying to make it easier on the poster. :wink:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

wallyUSA wrote:
MintBean wrote:In the Windows command line type ping ip.of.linux.machine to see if Windows can reach it.
I took this ping ip.of.linux.machine as a complete cli syntax. Perhaps you could say ping (ip) where ip=the ip of the windows machine?
Also, it might be helpful to tell the poster a simple way to find the actual ip?
Since he was talking about the 'wlp3s0 Ethernet IP address' and running 'ifconfig,' I assumed he understood what an ip address was and what the ip of the Linux machine was.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

MintBean wrote:
wallyUSA wrote:
Since he was talking about the 'wlp3s0 Ethernet IP address' and running 'ifconfig,' I assumed he understood what an ip address was and what the ip of the Linux machine was.
Cool! Thanks for the explanation! :D
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4

Return to “Networking”