No internet connection in Linux Mint Virtualbox VM

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lafritz65

No internet connection in Linux Mint Virtualbox VM

Post by lafritz65 »

Hopefully this is the correct forum for my question.

I recently installed Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce 64-bit in a Virtualbox 5.2.0 VM on my Win7 work laptop. I have "Enable Networking" checked, and when I connect to "Wired connection 1" it appears to be successful, until I open Firefox and try to reach the internet, at which point I get "server not found" errors. I have compared the VB Network Settings to those of another VM on my laptop running Win10 which does allow me to connect to the internet, and I see no differences. I'm not sure if the problem is in my VB or LM settings. I'm trying to get this working so I can ditch the Win10 VM for the support I provide at my company.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb2

Re: No internet connection in Linux Mint Virtualbox VM

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Can only give general thoughts on this, as only ever briefly played with virtualbox, started developing an interest in true hypervisors, specifically kvm but my current system doesn't support vm's at the moment. :(

Anyway ... did you install the Guest additions for whichever version of virtualbox you're using ? Vaguely remember in the settings for managing a vm, there was a check-box under Networking or similar, that said something like use bridged network. Remember having to check that to get the guest to also be able to use the window$ hosts wireless connection.

Was a long time ago, installed from the latest available on the Oracle site, virtualbox and again ... guest additions. Think Mint comes with much virtualbox related packages already installed on it out-of-box ? Haven't tried v 18.2 so could be wrong and going from distant memory on what I'd typed above, so could also be wrong but might give you something to check out.
lafritz65

Post by lafritz65 »

I just confirmed that guest additions is installed, restarted the VM (in case I forgot to do it yesterday), and there is still no network connectivity. But thanks for the suggestion.
lafritz65

Post by lafritz65 »

Hmmm! All I did since last week is reboot the host; no other changes were made, yet it seems to be working now. Imagine that!

Return to “Networking”