Continuous monitoring of internet download speed SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Continuous monitoring of internet download speed SOLVED

Post by bicky »

I have an issue with my internet service provider, I am sure that my connection is " flaky" - however when I do a spot check all seems to be fine. The problem arises when I am streaming videos, I get random freezing and locking up. To settle this issue once and for all I would like to get a continuous stream report over time to see how stable my connection is.
Is this possible in Linux - any guidance much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Continuous monitoring of internet download speed

Post by WharfRat »

Have you looked into any of these

Some are readily available in the repos :wink:
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Continuous monitoring of internet download speed

Post by bicky »

Brilliant - thank you - had no idea that this lot were available.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Continuous monitoring of internet download speed SOLVED

Post by phd21 »

HI "bicky",

Great link on this "WharfRat", thank you ...

It is sadly a common occurrence for your local Internet Service Provider (ISP) to "throttle" down your access speeds if they detect that you are streaming multi-media content like videos, downloading a lot of stuff, or using "P2P" and "torrents".

One thing I usually tell all people to do, is to immediately change your local ISP connection's default DNS server IP addresses to safe, secure, and neutral DNS server IP addresses from a reliable DNS provider like "dns.watch", "opennic", "openDNS", "freenom world", etc... It is easy to do. I have been using "dns.watch" for a long time now. This will prevent your local Internet Service Provider (ISP), and almost anyone else, from knowing what you are doing and throttling your connection, or blocking access to various websites.

Great instructions for changing DNS IP addresses in the link below.
- for Linux Mint and other desktop changes, click "Computer Workstations and laptops", scroll down to Linux Mint, and follow the simple instructions (should logout or restart afterwards). You can use "openDNS" server IP addresses, or any DNS provider's server IP addresses. I recommend going to "ipleak.net" to verify your DNS changes worked before making the changes to know what they are as a default from your local ISP, and then after making the changes, to make sure they are different.
https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

In addition to changing your local ISP DNS addresses, using a reliable VPN provider's servers will also protect your privacy with encryption and may even speed up your Internet surfing activities, like the superb and low cost "Private Internet Access (PIA)", "ProtonVPN", etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Continuous monitoring of internet download speed SOLVED

Post by bicky »

Hi - thanks for this - I am currently using Smart DNS - works fine for me. Not keen on the VPN route, most of the sites I use have rumbled this one ! - PIA in particular.

Return to “Networking”