Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

network connection keeps going down

Post by davidwillis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:40 pm

This is a strange issue I have been having for the last several months, and I can't figure it out. Just randomly my network connection will go down (no internet). This happens about 2 times per day. It is simple to get going again by just turning on and off networking. But this is getting annoying. I am not sure if it is hardware related or software.

By the way, I am using linux mint 18.1 xfce.

Frankus333
Level 2
Level 2

Re: network connection keeps going down

Post by Frankus333 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:07 am

G'day David

This looks like the situation in this other post: viewtopic.php?f=150&t=260168
I submitted the below to that post;

I have noticed this problem with both wired and wireless connections to my router, on three machines, after I upgraded from LM17.3KDE to LM18KDE quite a few months back. I just put up with it, disconnecting and reconnecting the network each time.

I have just recently upgraded to LM18.3KDE, and have also been taking offered kernal updates as well over the past couple of months. The other change I have made over the same time (last couple of months) is to remove the lock from my screen saver so I don't have to keep typing my password in (I use Ctrl-Alt-L if I leave the machine). The problem has seemed to be happening less often over the last couple of months, so I am not sure if it has been fixed for good. If it comes back in the next month or so I will report here if relevant.

Cheers
Frankus333: LM18.3 KDE 64 bit; HP 250 G5 laptop as desktop, 4GB RAM, CPU Celeron dual core N3060 2.5GHz, 500GB HDD (triple boot LM18.3 XFCE, Win10 1709)

Return to “Ethernet”