Cannot see shared folders on network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sequimbob
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot see shared folders on network

Post by sequimbob »

I am running an HP Pavilion 17-g199nr Laptop with Mint 18 Mate and a HP G71-340US Laptop with Mint 17 Mate and an HP ENVY 5642 wireless printer all connected via a Verizon Home Phone and internet router BRV 6700 for my network. I can print but cannot see any shared folders on either laptop. I have set up all of the folders that I want shared on the network, but I cannot see these folders when I browse the network. I can ping both laptops successfully. I initially tried to set up an wireless network but the above mentioned problem arose so I then hooked up a wired lan but neither network shows the files. I set up my shares using the file system going into properties of each folder and activating the sharing and I have also added the folders to be shared in samba using SAMBA GUI. I have checked the smb.conf and smbusers.conf files and they appear to be correct. I have downloaded and installed system-config-samba and gvfs.backends. I can really use some help on this. I have been using ubuntu for several years but am an absolute newbie to networking.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cannot see shared folders on network

Post by altair4 »

Is the desire to browse the other machine on the lan or connect to it's shares?

If you can ping the other machine - you didn't say how - then open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

caja smb://hostname
Or

caja smb://hostname.local
Or

caja smb://ip-address
Where hostname is the host name of the machine you are trying to connect to and ip-address is it's ip address.. When successful bookmark it.

If your desire is to browse to your other machine do this on all your Linux machines: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=185410#p960482
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”