rdp issues SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jnowski

rdp issues SOLVED

Post by jnowski »

First let me introduce myself, I'm a retired electronics design engineer (analog/digital/power), with 41 years of design experience. Thinking out of the box is my speciality.

I'm transitioning my home office computer from win 7 to mint cinnamon 18.3. So far I'm pleased as punch. But there is one glaring roadblock that I can't live with. My existing network consists of 6 win 7 boxes connected to WHS 2011. I can rdp into the server from any win box on my network. Normally I administer my server from the office computer (the one with mint installed). I barely know much about network administration, but am a terrific directions follower. It took me barely 2-3 hrs to set-up my windows network using hints and directions I found on the internet. My network has been working flawlessly since 2011.

I've now spent close to 3 weeks trying to set-up rdp on the mint box. two programs that I've tried are remmina and viagre. My network searches are now returning the same results again. I'm totally stumped. Is there anyone who can give me specific instructions? I'm at the point where I am willing to PAY for help.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: rdp issues

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jnowski

Re: rdp issues SOLVED

Post by jnowski »

The solution suggested by deepakdeshp does work. Thank you deepakdeshp :)

When I originally started my rdp journey, the first thing I did was use mints software manager where I found rdesktop. I installed it and could never find a menu item. My assumption was that rdesktop was incompatiple with the current version of mint, and I promptly uninstalled it. Then I started my search and tried several other programs, linux settings, windows server settings, yada yada. After almost 3 weeks of frustration I decided to leave my original post.

Not willing to accept defeat, I kept up my internet search. In one of the linux forums I finally ran across an example of a terminal command for rdesktop (head slap). I promptly reinstalled rdesktop, opened a terminal, typed in rdesktop 192.x.x.x. Viola! the server desktop login screen appeared. There were 2 login choices - my user account and other. My (server) user account threw errors at me and refused to login when I tried. I sat and thought about it for a little while, and decided to try the option other. This brought up all the user accounts on my server including administrator. I chose administrator and typed in my admin password and BAM i was in business.

A quick search for rdesktop commands brought up an extensive list of commands. I noted down the ones that I would like to use and subsequently created a menu launcher. Clicking on the launcher instantly brings up my WHS 2011 desktop and I can administer away. I end my server sessions by simply logging out of the server. Simple and beautiful, just exactly what I wanted in the first place.

My reasons for choosing this over the teamviewer solution is as follows: The teamviewer solution has a lot of functionality that I'll never use, and I have always used the KISS principle. I simply need to access my server from my home office box to administer various things, and that's it.

I offer this small story in the spirit of open source. I'd also like to make a gentle suggestion that the program description should contain a reference that this is a CLI item
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: rdp issues SOLVED

Post by BG405 »

jnowski wrote:I'd also like to make a gentle suggestion that the program description should contain a reference that this is a CLI item
That's a good suggestion, it does catch people out sometimes (including me). :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Networking”