Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mintendian
Level 1
Level 1

no default gateway from dhcp on eth0

Post by mintendian » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:46 pm

so, it would seem i have an issue with my *wired* eth0 interface when using DHCP. this DOES NOT happen with the wlan0 interface, just the wired eth0 ...

i plug a physical cable in to the back of the laptop, eth0 receives an IP address from the DHCP server but doesn’t set a default gateway ... once i manually "sudo route add default gw x.x.x.x" then I have connectivity and all is well

this USED TO WORK for eth0 and DOES STILL work for wlan0, so maybe I've had an update of some kind that has broken this

so ... please someone help me with where to start hunting down the issue?

I've booted from a Live USB stick and all is good

LM 17.3 ; 4.4.0-109-generic

thanks

mintendian
Level 1
Level 1

Re: no default gateway from dhcp on eth0

Post by mintendian » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:14 am

no takers for this one? :(

i've seen that it does seem to be picking up the gateway IP address correctly (as seen in log files) but it just doesn't add the route to the routing table. been trying to hunt down what script actually does the adding of the route once dhcpd client has received the IP...anyone??

if I do a manual 'dhclient -r && dhclient' then it adds the route to the routing table, so it seems to be, possibly? the automated mechanism that does this ... whatever that is. I've tried reinstalling isc-dhcp-client and isc-dhcp-common through SPM GUI but no change

kyle_v0
Level 1
Level 1

Re: no default gateway from dhcp on eth0

Post by kyle_v0 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:48 am

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a resolution to your problem?

Return to “Ethernet”