LAN connection will not automatically start when set to connect to VPN automatically

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bender72
Level 1
Level 1

LAN connection will not automatically start when set to connect to VPN automatically

Post by Bender72 »

I want my HTCP (which runs Mint 18.3) to automatically use my VPN.

The wired network connection auto-connects fine without VPN. Now I configured the VPN connection in the Network Manager, also works fine when I manually activate it.

The problem: when I set the wired connection to autoconnect to the VPN at startup, a popup appears asking for the password to the login keyring after each start, even though I use auto-login, and the password for the login keyring is the same as for the main user account.

The only solution I could find for this was to replace the login keyring password by an empty password. This solution (which I wasn't really happy with) solved the password request problem, but now my machine doesn't automatically connect to the wired network at all anymore, even though it is set to auto-connect to the network, and auto-connect to the VPN. I have to manually turn on the wired connection after reboot.

When I de-activate the option to auto-connect to the VPN, then the wired network is again automatically connected to.

Ideally, I'd like the VPN credentials be protected by a password, but have auto-connect to VPN without having to enter any passwords. Again, it's a HTCP in my living room and the only input device I regularly use to interact with it is an IR remote.

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”