Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

[SOLVED] Ping windows computer in home LAN

Post by BigEasy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:40 pm

I have local home network of 3 computers with shared folders on each. 2 linux, 1 windows.
1. Network name "Linux1"
2. Network name "Linux2"
3. Network name "Windows"

No problem with shared folders! When I type smb://Linux1 I get shared folder. When I type smb://Windows I get shared folder. e.t.c.
So name resolution working as planned. Correct? Or not? Common and technical sence told me it is correct.
Well... when I type ping Linux1.local ping works. Just as planned.
But when I ping windows computer I got unknown host. Ping Windows - unknown host, ping Windows.local - unknown host. Not destination unreacable, but unknown host!

My questions is: how for same system other host can be known and unknown at same time?
Last edited by BigEasy on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Pippin
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Ping windows computer in home LAN

Post by Pippin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Take a look here to allow ping (ICMP) through Windows firewall:
http://www.sysprobs.com/enable-ping-reply-windows-7

Edit:
Changed link to Windows 7
"I'm not in this world to live up your expectations, neither are you here to live up to mine.”
F.P. & P.T.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 pm

An smb server broadcasts it's netbios name to everyone on your network. If you are a smb client and lucky you can access it by that netbios name because the client is set up to listen for those broadcasts which is why smb://Windows works.

Pinging is a DNS thing and the name you are pinging is a host name ( tcp ) not a netbios name. If you have no lan side DNS server - and most but not all of us don't - there is no way to correlate a host name with an ip address.

Pinging by hostname.local utilizes mDNS ( avahi ) which allows the resolution of host names to IP address when there is no local name server in the lan. Linux can use mDNS ( .local ) to ping another Linux machine, a macOS machine, but not a WIndows machine .... Unless that Windows machine is running Windows 10 and only if you allow it through it's firewall: Win10, Linux, mDNS, and Samba File Sharing

Ironically Windows 10 has no problem pinging Linux or macOS using mDNS out of the box. It just can't be reached that way without a firewall rule addition.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:33 pm

I got it! Thank you very much.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Return to “Ethernet”